Chapter Ten

"Nope! Not happening!" I declared shaking my head vigorously.

"Oh c'mon, Veronica! It's just a little bit!" Catherine pleaded as she held the sandwich up.

"Get that disgusting thing away from me!" I shouted as I smacked her hand away.

"If you love me, you'll try it," Cat coerced.

I deadpanned. "Really, Cat? You're gonna pull that card?"

"It's the only card I've got left! Now just try the stupid sandwich!" she commanded as she shoved the sandwich on my mouth. I yelped and hurled my body away from the maniacal woman. I urgently swiped the area around my mouth, not taking any chances of having that disgusting crap on me.

Peals of laughter echoed throughout the apartment. I whipped my head around, disregarding the fact I was practically impersonating Gollum, to see Catherine guffawing loudly. I stalked over to her all the while shooting daggers at her. I stood right in front of her and growled, "What's so funny?"

She stopped immediately, her eyes growing wide in fear. "Uh, just your reaction when I... You really don't like mayo do you?" Really? Was she serious? I had told her a hundred times that I detested mayo and she was just now getting it? Not knowing what else to do, I smacked the back of her head before I plopped back down on my plush sofa. "What was that for?" she whined as she pouted.

"For being an idiot," I replied, my voice muffled by the couch cushion.

"I should sit on you," she grumbled to herself.

"But you won't because you love me," I answered with a grin. She opened her mouth to say something but the doorbell interrupted her which surprised us both. I heaved myself off the couch reluctantly, wondering who it could be. I don't think I asked Tom to come over. Hmmm... I pondered. I hit the 'Talk' button on my new doorbell system that I installed after my last fiasco with unwanted visitors. "Who is it?" I asked precociously.

"Delivery guy from Marlo's Pizza. I got a delivery for a Veronica Thrasher?" came the scratchy response.

Red flags popped up in my mind. I turned to Catherine and asked, "Did you order us pizza?"

Catherine shook her head as she nibbled on that disgusting thing she dared to call a sandwich. I shuddered. "I didn't order a pizza," I told the delivery guy.

"A guy named...Tom ordered for you," he answered. Aww! How sweet! I gushed to myself as Catherine pranced over to me. I pressed the "Enter" button and watched as the elevator door slid open. Sure enough, a gawky teenage boy was there holding a massive pizza box and a liter of soda.

"So how much is it?" Catherine asked as I took the food from him.

"The guy paid for it already," he replied as he ogled at Catherine.

I cleared my throat rather loudly to let him know that I was still in the room. "What'd he look like?" I thrust the food into Cat's arms, signaling her to go to the kitchen.

"Don't know. I just go where they tell me," the delivery boy sassed clearly upset that his eye candy left.

"Did he pay for your tip?" I sassed back. That caught his attention.

"No, he didn't," he admitted sheepishly. I sighed internally as I fished around in my pockets for the spare bills I had shoved in them earlier after lunch. I forked the few ones over to him. "Thanks. Um, how old is your friend?" he whispered.

I shook my head. "Kid, trust me when I say this: She's way out of your league," I replied as I shooed him back into the elevator.

"Cat, you've got another admirer," I commented as I entered the kitchen. She glanced up at me with questioning eyes, her mouth already filled with pizza. I sighed. "The pizza boy likes you."