14

Making her way briskly up the halls of the hospital, it was early in the morning when Mackenzie received a call to come in urgently. Confused and terrified about what might be the reason, she prayed to God that her mother was safe and nothing more.

"Hi, good morning." She spoke at the nurses station. "Um. Mackenzie Carter. I received a call from a doctor Lewis I believe."

Looking through some files she had in front of her, the nurse nodded an asked her to have a seat and wait.

Doing so, she sat nervously, trying to keep a positive mind. Though it was her alone at the hospital, she just wanted to know that her mother would make a speedy recovery and her sisters father would be caught instantly.

"Miss Carter?"

Hearing her name, she looked up and saw the doctor standing there.

"Follow me please." He instructed.

Standing up, she followed behind him into her mother's room. Her heart broke more, seeing her laying unconscious, connected to those machines. All night she prayed that this was all just a nightmare but more and more, reality set in that it wasn't.

"I apologize for calling you down here so early." He began.

"It's no problem, is my mother going to be fine?"

Taking a deep breath, he exhaled.

"I'm not sure if any doctor before me told you anything."

"Not really." She sighed.

"Alright. Miss Carter, after doing a full CT scan of your mother, a few things which are detrimental to her, showed up. It's been clear to us that she has been through an extensive amount of bodily and head trauma and we are insisting that she be moved to the intensive care unit."

"Okay. But why do I feel like there is something you're not telling me?"

Sighing, he looked at her.

"This is hard for me as a doctor to say to any patient but your mother suffered two post traumatic seizures. These happen due to severe traumatic brain injuries and as of right now she is unresponsive."

Hearing that last word, it felt as though Mackenzie's world came shattering down. Though the doctor continued to speak to her, she wasn't hearing what he was saying as she had zoned out.

"We're going to keep a close monitor on her brain activity and hope for the best." He finished speaking.

"Okay." She simply said.

"I promise you, I will do everything in my best ability to bring her back."

"I believe you and please keep me informed about anything else."

"Most certainly."

As the doctor left, Mackenzie went to her mother's side. Holding her hand, she laid her head on hers and prayed hard. Despite how everything was before, Mackenzie never gave up completely on loving her mother.

Yes she was hurt and upset by the way she chose to live but she never stopped loving her and only wanted the best for her.

"I'll be back later." She whispered before kissing her on her cheek.

As soon as she let up, two male nurses came in to take her to intensive care. Watching as they did their job, they then wheeled her out of the room and down the hall through two big doors. Sighing, she left the hospital, heading back to the hotel.

~••~

Laying on his back as Mackenzie laid with her head on his chest, finally sleeping, August mind wondered all over the place. Since she left early that morning to go to the hospital, he hadn't been back to sleep. Awake when she got back in, she explained everything the doctor in formed her.