one

I woke up to the sound of my parents arguing, again. This is all the seem to do lately. It's draining, but I just have to deal with it.

"Ugh, they're at it again," Riley, my older brother sighed as he walked into my room.

"Thanks for stating the obvious," I chuckled. He rolled his eyes at me in annoyance.

"Where's Poppy?" He asked.

I shrugged, "in her room most likely."

He shook his head before pulling his phone out, "No, I thought she was in here with you." He panicked.

"What? I haven't seen her since last night. Are you sure she isn't in her room sleeping?" I stood up. "She can't have gone far, she's five, Riley."

We checked every room in the house, but there was no sign of her.

"I'll go tell mum and dad," he rushed, looking at me.

I looked into the garden, before stopping him. "No," I shook my head. "I know where she is." I sighed, glancing back at him before motioning my head to the treehouse at he back of our garden.

We made out way over quietly, before climbing up the ladder.

"Poppy?"

I heard the sound of shuffling as I climbed up into the wooden treehouse. She was sat there in the corner, scared as she held her red blanket and Minnie Mouse teddy were in either one of her hands. I smiled sadly before crawling over to her, Riley did the same behind me.

"Don't worry, P," Riley placed the blanket over her legs.

"It won't always be like this." I assured.

She sniffled, "is daddy going?" Her lip quivered as she held her Minnie tightly in her arms.

I shook my head, "No, of course not." I pulled her in to my side in order to comfort her.

She sighed, "you promise?"

I paused, not wanting to promise her as I honestly had no idea what waa going to happen between my parents. I mean, I hope they don't get a divorce but I also know that they can't stay like this forever.

"It'll be okay," I reassured her.

I looked up at Riley, pleading for help.

He looked back at me, shrugging.

"You want to get some ice cream?" He asked. Poppy's eyes widened, her whole face lighting up as she smiled widely.

"Alright then," I laughed. "Let's go." I said before picking up Poppy's hand.

*****

We entered the ice cream shop, the door bell dinging as we opened it.

"You can have anything you want," I said to Poppy, smiling as her face lit up once again.

She ran up to the counter as she looked at all the different choices. I walked up and stood next to her as she decided.

"Hi, what can I get you?" A guy with black hair and an eyebrow piercing asked politely.

"Uhm, can I get cookie and cream with a wafer and..." I paused, looking down at Poppy.

"Strawberry and valinilla," she smiled. "Please,"

I laughed to myself. "And a strawberry and vanilla please," I gave him a friendly smile, before looking at his name tag. His name was Michael.

"Would you like it in a Disney cup like this one?" He asked Poppy, showing her a small cup with a variety of Disney characters on it.

Her face was glowing, "Yes please!" She grinned.

Michael chuckled, "alright then, coming up." He smile, looking up at me.

"I'll bring them over," he said. "I'm Michael, by the way." He smiled again.

"I'm Lucy."