Prologue

Nighttime had swathed the sky in darkness, but it was dotted with a few glittering stars. Only a few though, because the city lights usually hid the majority of them. Most people were heading home for the night to eat some dinner and slip into a comfortable bed; most, except for a man and woman who were following one of the many sidewalks snaking through Central Park. The woman pushed a stroller along in front of her, her husband staying close by her side. Unlike most people, they did not want to go home. The idea terrified them.

        "Do you think we're safe now? It's been a year," the woman asked on a whisper. The nights' quietness made her feel pressured to be discreet as well.

        "I can't be sure, Susan. We still must take it day by day," her husband answered just as softly.

        "Well, isn't that why we moved, to start over?"

        "Yes of course, my love. But, you know there's always a chance that they'll find us."

        "And if they do, Adam?" Susan moaned, tears swelling to the brims of her eyes, "What will happen to Eli?"

        The lost look on Adam's face was enough to cause Susan's tears to fall. She couldn't stomach the thought of what the world would do to her baby boy if she wasn't around. Or worse, what they would do.

        Wrapping his arms around his wife, Adam said, "Look Susan, you can't think like that, we've made it this far, haven't we?" He stroked her long, dark hair with one hand while he continued to hold her waist with the other. Cooing noises came from the stroller. Adam went to the front and took Eli out.

        "Yea, tell mum it's going to be ok. Tell her," he whispered to the smiling baby in his arms. The cooing continued.

        "I hope you're right Adam. I love you both so much."

        "I love..."

         A twig snapped a short distance away from them, snatching both parents' attention. It had sounded like it'd come from one of the many bushes bordering the parks' sidewalks; however, this particular bush had managed to grow outside the lampposts' light.

        "Stay here Susan." Adam quickly brushed a light kiss on his son's forehead, then handed Eli to his wife. He cautiously approached the plant, hands instinctively balling into fists. He didn't have a weapon on him; in hindsight, he probably should have stuffed one of their many kitchen knives in his waistband.

        It doesn't matter, he told himself silently, I'll protect my family even if it is just with my bare hands.

        Snap. This time, the sound came from the right, but it still led him directly to the same bush. He took another step forward.

        "Wait, don't Adam!" Susan pleaded.

          Adam didn't really hear—he was too focused on the plant. As he got closer, some kind of animal smell wafted into his nose. What kind, he wasn't sure. It didn't really matter either—he was right upon the bush now. He could hear something breathing behind the branches, but it was faint and was soon drowned out as the leaves in the bush began to rustle. In the next instant, a light-colored blur exploded from the bush and dashed passed Adam. He spun around to catch a better glimpse and was rewarded with the fleeting image of a long white feline tail. Must've been a cat hunting birds or something.

        Feeling relieved that it was only a common domestic pet; Adam dropped his fists and relaxed his posture. He had a half-smile on his face as he raised his gaze to his wife who was clearly illuminated by the lamppost.

        Adam stopped breathing.

        His wife, his beautiful Susan, stood dead before him with her throat sliced wide open. She was only on her feet because her killer was behind her, holding her head back and with an arm wrapped around her waist. With her neck exposed, Adam could see with agonizing detail the extent of the wound—the amount of blood loss that had claimed her life. Her whole front side was drenched in it; her light brown skin, the color of creamed coffee, now painted red.

        Susan's arms were empty. Where is Eli? Adam thought absentmindedly, the agony in his chest making him loopy. He was only faintly aware of the fact that he had fallen to his knees in despair.

        Susan's murderer was a tall man, clad in a black coat, and long dark colored hair. He was saying something, but Adam couldn't comprehend. Tears gushed from his eyes and fell as fat droplets onto his clothes and onto the sidewalk. His arm stretched out to his wife; her name on his tongue, but he couldn't choke out a word.

        It didn't matter—someone was upon him. Adam recognized the same smell that'd been hovering all over the bush and hands were wrapping around his shoulders and his throat. A breath whispered right next to his ear and on that breath were words.

         "Your son will be something great, Adam. I'm almost sorry that you and your wife won't be able to see it.....Any last words?