[11] Listening In

Chapter 11 Listening In

I lingered in the hallway to see if my sister would actually be paying Loki a visit. I never wanted to go back in there. Loki was quite possibly the only person capable of creeping me out. And that was a very very bad thing. I heard footsteps coming towards me and I hurried into a closet, shutting the door quietly behind me and I peered through a small window. I saw Natasha heading towards Loki's cell. She looked around before heading inside.

I pushed the door open and followed her. I wanted to know exactly what she'd be doing in there and what they would be talking about. I hid behind the door and looked in.

Loki looked up surprised and spoke, "There's not many people that can sneak up on me."

"But you figured I'd come." Natasha said.

"After whatever tortures Fury can concoct, you would appear as a friend, as a balm. And I would cooperate." Loki said. Hah, after what I had said to him, he shouldn't be thinking that Natasha is a friend. She is most certainly not one.

"I wanna know what you've done to Agent Barton." Natasha spoke, saying many of the same things that I did.

"I'd say I've expanded his mind." Loki told Natasha as he had told me.

"And once you've won. Once you're king of the mountain. What happens to his mind?" Natasha asked.

"Is this love, Agent Romanoff?" Loki asked. Why does he think one of us is in love with Clint?

"Love is for children. I owe him a debt." Natasha remarked.

Loki sat down, "Tell me."

Natasha pulls up a chair as well, "Before I worked for SHIELD, I uh...well, I made a name for myself. I have a very specific skillset, I didn't care who I used it for, or on. I got on SHIELD's radar in a bad way. Agent Barton was sent to kill me, he made a different call."

"And what will you do if I vow to spare him?" Loki asked.

"Not let you out." Natasha said.

"Ah, no. But I like this. Your world in the balance, and you bargain for one man?" Loki laughed.

"Regimes fall every day. I tend not to weep over that, I'm Russian...or was." Natasha said.

Loki gave a small laugh and locked eyes with me. My eyes widened and I scurried away but still managed to hear everything.

"What is it you want?" Loki asked.

"It's really not that complicated. I've got red in my ledger, I'd like to wipe it out." Natasha said.

"Can you? Can you wipe that much red? Drakov's daughter? Sao Paulo? The hospital fire? Barton told me everything. Your ledger is dripping. It's gushing red, and you think saving a man no more virtuous than yourself will change anything?" Loki asked and started to stand up. He looked terribly angry, "This is the basest sentimentality. This is a child at prayer...PATHETIC! You lie and kill in the service of liars and killers. You pretend to be separate, to have your own code, something that makes up for the horrors. But they are a part of you, and they will never go away!" Loki slams his cell, making Natasha flinch, "I won't touch Barton. Not until I make him kill you! Slowly. Intimately! In every way he knows you fear! And when he'll wake just long enough to see his good work and when he screams, I'll split his skull! This is my bargain, you mewling quim!"

Natasha turns around, walks away from Loki, disgusted. "You're a monster." She speaks quietly and acts like she's distraught which I'm sure she is. Loki laughs, "No, you brought the monster." Natasha turns back around as slowly as possible, "So, Banner...that's your play."

"What?" Loki asks.

I see Natasha speak into her earpiece and then it comes up on mine, "Loki means to unleash the Hulk. Keep Banner in the lab, I'm on my way. Send Thor as well."

I hurry out and down the hall as fast as I can. I re-enter the la and find that everyone is standing up and waiting for Natasha to come back.

"Where have you been?" Tony asks me.

"Oh you know. This and that." I smirk, "Nothing for you to concern yourself with."

"Of course not. You didn't happen to be visiting Loki did you?" Tony asked.

"You caught me." I held my hands up playfully, "You know me too well. Yeah that's where I was. I was trying to get information about Barton."

"And did he give it?" Tony asked.

"Not really. What do you expect?" I said shrugging and looked to the door just as Nick Fury walked in.

Friday Update! Short chapter unfortunately. :( 

What did you think? Why do you think she was listening in on Natasha and Loki's conversation? What do you think Fury is going to have to say? What do you think is going to happen? 

Sneak Peak: In the lab!

PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BOOK FOR THE 2015 WATTYS! COMMENT, VOTE AND SHARE!

~Annette