Prologue (an intro to Annalie and Spook)

(I apologize ahead of time if anything in this story is hurtful to anyone. My main character has been through the foster system, was abused by her mother and suffers from Paranoid Schizophrenia. I do not mean to insult anyone through this story if i get any facts wrong about the foster system of the mental disorder. Please forgive me if I do, my uncle has the disorder and I mean no disrespect. Oh and this first chapter is mostly just to introduce Annalie Grace and her service dog Spook to my lovely readers. Enjoy, Tigergirl1996. )

P.S. Picture is of Spook

I was watching intently out my window, Spooks head in my lap as the plane started it's descent. I couldn't wait to start our new lives. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with mine right away, but boy was I ready for things to get better.

You see, I had a very rough and tumultuous childhood, and not just because of how I look. I never met my father, from the various things I have been told, he left just hours after finding out my mother was pregnant with me, This in turn devastated my mother who absolutely hated the idea of my, or at least until she first saw me. Every time she would look at me after I was born, all she could see was how much money I could make her.

I didn't look like anything she had ever seen (I still don't). I am an albino. My skin is paper white and my hair is the same way, but that was not the main reason for the dollar signs in my mothers eyes. My eyes were the culprit. Most albinos, have very pale colored eyes, but mine were different. My eyes were and are the color of blood.
As I got older, my mom began to drag me out onto the streets of New York had me dress in dark Victorian clothes and play the piano on random street corners throughout various parts of the city. To passers by I was known as the specter, the ghostly figure who played eerie music on the dark streets of New York. To my mother I was just another scam to pull on the unsuspecting people of New York City

But my mother didn't stop there. One night shortly after I had turned eight, she drugged me with her anti depressants and took her old nail file to my top two canine teeth effectively making me look like a vampire. less than two years later on a particularly difficult night. A member of my audience happened to be a caseworker from cps, but it wasn't my teeth that cough this eye, but rather he had witnessed my mother slap me after I had worked up the courage to tell her I didn't want to perform, and then later, during my actual performance he saw the bruises covering the back of my neck and the bloody fingerprints I left on the keys of the piano. After that everything changed.

CPS came and took me away from my mother. She was arrested and then put into a mental hospital after a psychological evaluation. I was ch checked out for every possible illness a person could get, mostly because they weren't sure if my being an albino had caused any other problems. At that moment in time. I proved to be perfectly healthy if not a little malnourished

I never told the doctors, at least not right away about something unusual that had been happening to me since I was little. I heard voices in my head. Well, one voice in particular and I was scared that the doctors would take him away. I cherished the voice as he was the only friend I had ever had. And I called him Harvey after the mythical giant white rabbit I had seen in an old black and white movie my mother had let me watch once. Anyway a year had gone by since I was taken away from my mother and Harvey stayed my little secret, that was until I met an older boy named Stephan. Stephan was about three years older than me and we had been laced into the same foster home together along with eight other kids. They all had been bullying me and calling me awful names and Stephan and stood up for me. He was different from the others, and later told me that from the minute he saw me he adopted me and became both my protector and best friend. The day that Stephan asked me to be his little sister also happened to be the day my relationship with Harvey changed for the worse.

First he started screaming, causing the most nauseating headache anyone could ever experience. He was red me to kill Stephan, to kill every foster kid there and when I refused he started telling me to kill myself. All the while Stephan was panicking as I sat on my bed with my head in my hands screaming "No" over and over again.

Suddenly everything went dark and silent. And I fell into a hard but quiet sleep. When I woke up I was in a hospital bed with Stephan my case worker and my foster parent all standing around me. As Stephan hugged me my case worker Mr Gilbert went to get the nurse. When he came back the doctor was with him and he had me explain what had gone on. I started by telling him how nice Harvey had been and then what he had done when Stephan asked me to be his sister.

Within the next couple of weeks everything got worse. Every time someone was nice to me, Harvey would scream at me battering against my skull telling me to kill them. When I refused he would tell me to kill myself. Gradually as the doctors found out what was wrong with me Harvey grew quieter and became almost completely silent. I was diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia. I was ten years old.

As the years went on Stephan and I managed to stay together, for the most part. Harvey would still attack periodically, each attack worse than the one previous. When I turned thirteen, the unthinkable happened. Stephan was adopted, and I was still bouncing from foster home to foster home, but now I had absolutely no one.

That same year Spook came into my life. The foster home I was moved to right after Stephan left was run by Mr. and Mrs. Gibbons. Mr. Gibbons trained service dogs for a living, and one day just after I turned fourteen he brought home a small black puppy he had found on the street. Since I stayed at home during the day (I had graduated High school already. Yes I am that smart.) He asked me to look after him. He was a mixed up little mutt just like me so we quickly became inseparable. I decided to name him Spook. Only a month later Mr. Gibbons told me that Spook was old enough to learn how to be a service dog and I was heartbroken that I would be alone again, until he told me that he was going to train him to be MY service dog.

I had a very unstable emotional state and severe separation anxiety, so Spook would serve as something to help me calm down. He also served as a type of early warning system. Spook had the uncanny ability to tell when Harvey was going to attack. Most of the time he could tell before I did. He was trained to bark and alert people if i ever and an attack. It was the only time he would bark. Spook and I were inseparable from day one. He even slept in my bed.

When you turn Eighteen you are officially an adult and are kicked out of the system. I stayed until I was twenty because of my instability and everything that was wrong with me. The system then sent me off to find my own place in the city of my choice. They gave me enough to live off of for three months until I could find a job to make my own way.

That is why I was looking out the airplane window with Spook sprawled across the two seats next to me with his head in my lap as we touched down at the LAX airport in California, but that would not be my final destination. We were going to live at Venice beach.