Kerry

Taylor, Bianca, and I ended up back at the cabin later that night. My mind continuously pondered the boy who had been sitting there in the dining hall. This trail of thoughts wasn't exactly one I wanted though. I don't need a boy or anyone else for that matter.

We changed into our pajamas and laid on the couch. It's amazing how in a matter of hours you can meet just a couple new  people and suddenly your perspective changes. At dinner Taylor was telling us about how her oldest brother, Tyler, has cancer and has had it for a long time. She said that God was what was keeping him here and not letting him go home. It isn't his time yet.

Some things in life just touch us and that is one of them. I mean I miss my phone. I have no contact to Angel or anyone else for that matter for the rest of the summer and although I have Taylor and Bianca, it's almost like starting over. I like being alone and staying connected through my phone. Ever since dad left people interactions just haven't been my thing.

After about an hour we divided to our separate rooms. I had to finish putting all my stuff away and then grabbed my music player. I pulled out my Jamie Grace C.D hoping to get in to a Christian mood and attitude. Eventually I fell asleep thinking about my father.

...........................................................................................

I woke up at about seven the next morning. Taylor and Bianca were still asleep and breakfast didn't start for another hour so I pulled on running shorts and a t-shirt and took off through a path from the back of the cabin.

All paths wind and curve all around. This one though was something you could lose yourself over. It was so beautiful everywhere you go. Trees, animals, and just beautiful nature everywhere you turn. The path eventually came to a fork in the road. There was an old trail sign. One side read, DINING HALL, the other read, LAKE PINE.

I took a quick glance at my watch and saw it was about time for the dining hall to open for breakfast and decided to come back after to explore down by the lake. I took off running again but I took in the direction and curves of the path and shut my eyes to feel the wind blow across my face.

The day was warm and the air had a natural scent to it that was musty or hot but fresh and new. I ran a little faster feeling the wind brush past my closed eyelids. Suddenly I smacked into something. Because I had been running so fast I ricocheted backwards and ended up on my butt.

I looked up to see the boy, Salem staring down at me. The corners of his mouth turned up and he tried not to laugh as I struggled to get up. Eventually he took pity on me and extended his hand. I gladly took it and he pulled me up.

He looked me in the eyes for just a second before I looked away. "Well, Kerry, if you want to run and not end up sprawled on the ground you might want to consider keeping your eyes open." He told me, smothering a laugh. He had a pretty thick southern accent that made his teasing very lighthearted. 

I laughed. "Yea, that would be a smart idea, wouldn't it?" He nodded at me and we parted ways. He kept heading down the trail and I headed up towards the dining hall.

I grabbed a plate with a muffin and a biscuit and headed towards a table. I had a cup of coffee alongside my breakfast and I was done before any other campers joined. It was about time for me to head back to the cabin to get ready for the recreational stuff we do.

When I got back to the cabin Bianca and Taylor were up and ready for the day. Both had their hair in fishtail braids over their shoulders. They gave me a quick smile and let me get ready. Then we all walked out the door together.