The Perfect Place

I tried to forget about bumping into Chris, so I turned my mind to the flat I was about to look round. From the pictures I had seen, it was perfect. It was just the right size and price for how much I was earning, it was so close to everything I ever need! Plus, it's finally the start of a new life, away from mum, away from everything. I can finally turn over a new leaf and forget my past. Forget her, and forget him..

As I arrived at the flat, the landlord was just arriving to show me around.

"Hello! You must be Grace. Nice to meet you!" he said in a cheery voice.

"And you must be Gary! Hi" I replied.

"Shall we get on with the tour?"

And with that, he showed me around. The flat was perfect. I decent sized bedroom, a small kitchen, lounge and bathroom, even another small room perfect for a little sofa, desk and computer. I loved it.

"How do you like it?" Gary asked.

"When can I move in?" I laughed.

"Well my dear, the flat is empty as you can see, so as soon as you want!" Gary answered in his usual cheery tone.

"Oh wow! Okay, well, It won't take me long to get all my stuff packed up, so can I move in on Tuesday?" I replied happily.

"Tuesday? It's Sunday today so, yep! That should be great! Would you like some help moving in? The oven can be a little dodgy so I'll show you how to fix that too." he asked.

"Oh thanks, that'd be great, I really aprieciate all this!"

And with that we shook hands and went our separate ways. I realised I still had a sofa to buy and all my bank details to sort out, so I had a busy couple of days ahead of me.

--------------------------------------------------------

After lunch I went to buy a sofa. That was easy as I already new exactly which one I wanted! After I'd paid and sorted the delivery for Tuesday to my new flat, I went to the bank to fill in all the boring paperwork.

It was finally time for work. Luckily, I had my shirt in my bag so I could go straight there and didn't need to bother about going home. I just hopped on the tube and quickly got changed once I got there.

Working in nandos isn't all its cracked up to be. The only thing that's good is the pay, especially when you're a vegetarian like me. As I wandered out to the front of the resturant I grabbed an apron from the rack next to the kitchen. This is one of my two jobs, and I only started a couple of weeks ago doing the odd shift where I can. But so far it's not too bad I guess!

"Ah Grace! You're early that's great! Can you start showing people to their tables and taking orders? The chef's are ready" asked my manager.

"Sure" I answered politely.

And four hours later, my shift was done! Only a short one luckily, and it was only 7pm. I could get a good night's sleep for once. Most nights I work in a bar not to far from Hyde Park called 'Jackson's' which is tiring, but the people I work with are great and the pay is good so I can't really complain. But it is nice to get an early night once in a while. It was time to get on the tube and head home.

----------------------

A few changes and a short walk later I was home. I just couldn't bare to walk through the door. After a few deep breaths I put the key in the lock, turned it slowly and opened the door.

Silence.

No TV. Nothing.

No one was home.

I let out a sigh of relief as I walked slowly up to my room. It didn't take me long to take off my make up and put on some pj's so I was soon in bed. I pulled out my phone and clicked on Netflix. And with that, I slowly drifted off to sleep...

BANG!

I woke up with a jolt to the sound of the front door slamming shut. I glanced at my clock. 2:32am.

"Oh shit" I whispered to myself.

"Don't let her remember I'm here, please"

I heard footsteps pounding up the stairs, each step creaking slightly with the force. I could hear her breathing.

My door suddenly burst open, and I looked up, terrified.

"Where were you all day? Eh?"

Her voice was angry and slurred.

"I was at work mum" I answered meekly.

"Don't lie to me, no one would ever trust you. You're not responsible. You're a lousy fuck up. Now, where have you BEEN?"

Her voice was growing louder with every drunken word, every heavy breath.

"I've been at work! You know I have a job mum! I tell you this all the time!"

She grabbed my bag and started rummaging through it.

Shit. The forms for the flat. She can't see those! I snatched it from her quickly.

"Oi! Give that to me! NOW!" She screamed in my face, spit landing on my cheek.

I didn't say anything. I just clung onto my bag praying she'd just leave.

She did leave. But not without punching me clean across my face, grazing my cheek as she did so. The punch was forceful but sloppy due to the amount of alcohol she had consumed. But it still stung. My eyes watered like mad.

She had left though. That was the main thing. I heard the front door slamming again. She was gone. I was alone again. I slowly drifted back off to sleep, I could feel the tears and blood slowly trickling down my face and onto my pillow.

I really needed this flat.