Do You Know Eva- Chapter Fifteen

Start from the beginning

“C’mon, it’s getting late. Let’s take off.”

“No. You go. I’m having a good time. Just leave the key under the mat. I’ll be back in no time.”

If I wasn’t so exhausted I would have fought back but instead I just kiss her on the cheek, pick up my bag and walk out of the bar. Jessica chases after me, the sound of her high heels clicking echoes in the near empty parking lot. The sound brings me back to the day, to the sound of Jones’ heels clicking as she chased after Eilish.

“Eva. Eva! Wait up.” Jessica calls. I stop and look back.

“Look Jessica I can’t deal with this now. Please just, just go.”

“No. Stop doing that.” She yells.

“Doing what?”

“Holding everything in. just say it, let it out. If you just opened up, our relationship would be so much better, just let me in Eva. Let me know what you're feeling.”

“You wanna know what I m feeling Jessica? I’m almost seventeen years old and so far I’ve tried to kill myself three times. I lost my brother, my father, bound to lose my mother soon. I’m pregnant Jessica! Pregnant… me and you are just not the same anymore. Jason doesn’t want anything to do with me or his child. Jones was supposed to take the baby but now… now she’s dead. You wanna know how I am felling? I’m feeling let down, always disappointed.”

Jessica steps forward. She is looking at the pavement, ashamed.

“You don’t have to feel like that Eva. I’m here for you. I’m here for you and that baby, our baby. You and I are going to be us again, we are going to go to prom, we are going to graduate and then we are going to raise that baby, okay? And Eva, we are doing this together. You can count on me.”

“I love you Jessica.”

“I love you too. Now c’mon, let’s get back to your house. I’ll stay with you tonight.”

Jessica and I begin a long walk home, hand in hand, in the drizzling rain.

* * * * *

They set up a memorial in Jones’ office, a place where all of us can go to remember her. There is a picture of her that rests on her desk. I know it’s been a week, but it still hasn’t hit me yet, and I guess it probably never will, things like that take time right? School hasn’t been the same without her, it’s like something missing. I want to just run into her room, tell her all my problems, but when I do I find a substitute sitting in her seat. She’s nice, but she’s no Jones.

I slam my locker door shut; Jessica is standing on the other side. Her hands are clenched.

“Hey you,” she says, smiling. I’ve always wondered about her smile, it is just so magical. Even if you were at the lowest of the lows, her smiles could bring you right back up.

“Hey, what's up?” I ask; she looks like she has something to tell me.

“Okay so I’ve been thinking about something, about us. And I think that it’s time that we tell our parents. Well your mom and my pretend family. What do you think?” she smiles, nervously.

“Wow, this is so, non- Jessica. But yes! It’s a fantastic idea Oh my god, we will have a dinner! You bring your mom and dad over to mine, or will we go to yours?”

Jessica bursts out laughing. “You come to mine; my mom is a great cook. And let’s face it, how awkward would it be at yours?”

“True that.”