Reefside

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
"But Dad!"
"No buts! We are moving to Reefside and that's final!"
"I know you're a lawyer, but my life isn't a case!"
I ran upstairs and slammed the door of my room. I slid down to the floor, my back on the door still. I buried my head in my knees. Reefside! I thought I swore to myself I would NEVER step foot in that town AGAIN. That's where my parents divorced, AND where Dad stole me from my mother. That's right, Dad! I know the TRUTH! The WHOLE truth. I know the whole story. There's a knock.

"Go away." I said through tears.
"Violet, listen to me. Why are you upset? I thought you liked Reefside!" He said. I stood, but dared not to open the door.
"I did, until I found out the truth!"
"What truth?" He asked with a mix of concern and anger in his voice.
"THE truth, Dad." He opens the door I start backing away.

"How? Who told you?"

I went to my dresser and pulled out the letter. My letter. From Mom. He snatches it from my hand and read it.
"How did you get this?" He asked.
"It showed up in my night stand drawer when I was ten. I don't know how it got there. I promise!" He throws it on the ground and points at me.
"You are to mention this to NO ONE. UNDERSTOOD!" His expression softens. I hope it was because he saw the fear in my face through my tears.

"Violet, I....."
"Go away! I don't want you in my room!" He took a step closer. I jumped on my bed and stood there.
"Violet......."

"IF I WAS SOOOO SPECIAL TO YOU, WHY WOULD YOU MAKE ME GO BACK THERE? HUH?" I yelled.
"Because I'm going to apologize to your mother, then leave you with her." I was shocked. He never apologizes. Ever.
"She was right. I can't handle being a dad. I'm going to find her." He said. I get off my bed and hug him.
"I'm sorry, Dad."
"It's okay, sweetie. I was wrong from the beginning."