Chapter 12

-Aspen-

I walk back into the medical wing to see my mate staring into space and looking like death itself. She was more pale than usual, it was almost a ghostly white. I sat down in the chair next to her but she didn't seem to notice.

"Um Alaina." I said. She looked towards me but didn't say anything.

"I can take you to a more comfortable bed if you want." I offered. She thought about, her medical bed is very stiff and uncomfortable.

"Ok." she whispered.

"Can you walk by yourself?" I asked. She shrugged, I doubt she could, that bite in her leg will take longer to heal than usual.

"Well just to be safe then." I stated. I picked her up in my arms and began to carry her to my room. We walked down the halls in silence but I still watched her from the corner of my eye, I was worried about her and what she said earlier.

"I killed him! I couldn't control myself! He was being mean and I made the shadows kill him!"

What did she mean by killing someone with shadows? We approach my room and I opened the door and walked in. I set her on the bed.

"Is that better?" I asked. She nodded and looked down into her lap, something was wrong.

"Alaina," I said, she looked up at me, "what did you mean when you said you killed someone with shadows?" She sighed and ran her fingers through her long black hair.

"You think that Carlos and I are two twins right?" She asked. I probably looked confused, and I was. Where was she going with this? I just nodded my head and she took a deep breath and continued.

"Well actually we are triplets, there was another brother, his name was Chase." I noticed how she said 'was' and 'is'.

" 'Was' as in pas-tense?" I asked. She nodded her head sadly.

"We were all five years old and we were playing in the woods during the spring. Chase got too me mean and shoved mud in my face and when I hit him he kicked me. I- I got mad, shadows formed into a black knife and it stabbed him in the chest. He died because of me." I couldn't believe what I was hearing, it couldn't have been her! She held her head in shame of what she claimed she had done.

"It's all my fault!" She whispered.

"No dear! That couldn't have been you! Maybe there was another wolf that did it to him." I stated, trying to comfort her.

"It was me. The moon goddess told me that I'm a Shadow bender wolf." I still refused to believe that, although she said the moon goddess told her. The moon goddess never talks to anyone. She held out her hand and shadows formed in it, making a sleek black arrow with a razor sharp point. I took it out of her hand to feel it, it was solid but still light.

"How come you never told me?" I asked.

"Well 1. Because I hate you." she began. I laughed at that, only her human form hates me.

"Excuse me, but I took you to see your family and you were the one who was hanging onto me for dear life when you woke up." I said smirking at her. She rolled her eyes and continued with her ramble.

"And 2. Because I was scared of what I could do." she finished. I looked back down at the arrow, it was frightening how she was able to do this, but it was fascinating at the same time.

"I think that this is amazing." I stated. She looked even more sad when I said that and looked away.

"It's all fun in games until you lose control and accidentally kill your brother." She muttered. I sighed, my poor, difficult mate. I grabbed her chin and made her look at me. I looked into her mind and saw her wolf itching to kiss me but she wasn't allowing it.

"Oh come on, I know you want to." I stated. She gave me a confused look.

"What?" She asked. I chuckled, she doesn't know what I can do, but I'll come clean.

"To kiss me." She laughed at me.

"I never said that and in your dreams!" she exclaimed.

"You're right, you never said you did but you thought it." I said. She gave me a confused look.

"How-" she began.

"I can read minds." I said. She gawked, obviously doubting me.

"No you can't." she stated. I raised an eyebrow and smirked, time to play a game.

"Think of your favorite color." I commanded. I looked into her mind, she thought of midnight blue.

"You just thought of midnight blue." I stated. She raised her hands up in mock defeat.

"Alright I'm convinced." she said. I laughed at her and stood up to check the lighting outside. I walked towards the window and saw stars twinkling in the night sky.

"It's nighttime, I should be in bed." I walked to the the bed and laid down, taking off my shirt. I looked to Alaina and she rolled her eyes at me.

"Oh come on, I know you like what your seeing." I joked. 

"In your dreams." she stated.

"That and more." I said. She whipped her head to look at me.

"Aspen!" she exclaimed, smacking my chest. Her reaction was too funny, I began to laugh.

"You'll accept me, and we will grow old together." I stated. She rolled her eyes and laid on her side, facing away from me.

"Over my dead body." she muttered. I restrained a growl, I don't want her talking about her dying.