I briefly looked about me, forcing my shoulders to relax. Though the other hallways and rooms about the palace usually had a chair or two tucked away here and there, the front entrance was conspicuously free of them. Likely it was an intentional decision. After all, it wouldn't do to have a bunch of people malingering around the main entrance. Me being stopped at this particular spot probably meant that I wasn't going to have to wait too terribly long for whatever it was I was supposed to be waiting for.

At least that meant less time spent stewing in anxiousness.

It seemed I'd barely been standing there for a minute when I spotted a familiar figure coming down the hall towards me, carrying a small bundle in both hands. Forcing a smile onto my face, I stepped away from the wall and stood nearer the middle of the hall, next to my mute escort.

"Preceptor Albusequa," I said once I judged her close enough, bowing to her at almost the exact same time as the thin fellow standing next to me.

"Lord Tucat," she nodded back, smiling briefly before fixing her eyes upon the man standing to my right. The smile fled her face, and she gave him a rather cool look. "I shall be escorting him from this point on. You may leave us."

"Preceptor," he replied in a whiny, nasal voice before standing briefly at attention, giving her a crisp bow, and then stiffly walking away.

"So that's what his voice sounds like," I mused quietly, watching him leave.

Peyla chuckled.

"Yes, as you can imagine, you don't have many fans at the palace at the moment," she said just as quietly, sending the escort a brief look before turning back to me. She held out the bundle and motioned for me to take it. "I liberated some of your things from Borshank's office, as per the prince's instructions. I figured that you might wish to take them with you. Two pairs of boots, two dress coats, one cloak, and a vest."

I took the bundle from her with a nod and briefly inspected it. "No canes?"

"Not from what I could see."

"Ah well," I shrugged, shifting the bundle so that I might hold under my arm. "Oh, speaking of possessions, would you care to accompany me back to Tucat Keep? I know it's late, but I still have a certain . . . something of yours, and I'm sure you'd probably like it back." I held my arm out to the doorway in invitation.

Peyla seemed to consider, idly brushing some of her long, white hair over her shoulder as she did so. Then she gave a half-shrug, smiled her acceptance, and swept past me towards the palace exit.

"Why not? I suppose there's not much chance of me getting any sleep tonight anyways, what with all the alarms and the sound of people scurrying about." She turned and gave me a wry look. "Apparently, someone attempted to gain entrance to the main palace spire earlier this evening."

"What?" I asked, unable to entirely conceal my smile. "Why, that's preposterous! Only a lunatic would try something like that!"

"Oh, I certainly agree with you there."

"Well then, we should probably leave, and quickly!" I said, glancing about as though suddenly afraid. "After all, a scoundrel that desperate might still be lingering around here somewhere . . ."

Peyla laughed musically at that, and we both made our way down the stone steps towards a carriage that was sitting at the bottom, waiting for us. It was one of the royal carriages, the sort that were usually reserved for visiting dignitaries and other special guests of Tenarreau. As I followed Peyla into the carriage, I surreptitiously looked around, noting that several guards were within view, watching me as I made my way through the open carriage door.