Chapter 9: Breakfast

Start from the beginning

I didn't get it. Everyone had hugged her and hadn't gotten stuck. Why would she want to show us a high-five? But since I didn't want to ruin her mood, I gave her the high-five. Only, this time, my hand did stick.

"Try to pull your hand off," she said.

I pulled. My hand wouldn't come free.

"Come on. Don't be a baby," she said.

I pulled harder, so hard that her hand came towards me. She even leaned back and pulled, but I still didn't come free. I started getting worried.

"Come on! Pull!" Evry said.

I pulled so hard I almost pulled her onto my lap, but then I was free and flying backwards. I flew over my brother's lap and landed on the floor. Everyone laughed.

"I can be super sticky, too! If I think hard enough."

I got up from the floor, laughing along with the others. I was embarrassed but also relieved that I was free.

"What cool super powers you have," D-rip said. "Wow."

Kit turned sharply to him. The room fell silent.

Evry raised her chin. "Well, it's better than leaking all over everything!"

"Whoa," Kit said. "I think that's enough—"

"You're just jealous," Evry said.

And then D-rip threw a sock. It flew across the table and hit Evry's left cheek. The toe stuck and the free end swung down and then stuck to her neck.

D-rip turned to his brother. "Yeah. I'm really jealous. How about you?"

Z's mouth hung open.

Evry's chin quivered and her eyes got shiny. She glared at the twins, pinched her mouth shut, and closed her eyes. The sock started to slide down her cheek and neck. Everyone watch as she started straining. She squeezed her eyes tighter, her lips pinched even smaller. She held her breath. The part that stuck to her neck fell away, but the other end on her cheek stayed put. Her eyes popped open and she let out her breath in one big exhale.

Kit jumped up from her chair and rushed around the table. "Let me help you, Evry." She pulled on the sock and it came away with a ripping sound. White fuzz and a long string stayed behind on her cheek.

"Looks like she missed a spot shaving this morning," D-rip said. "So scraggly."

And that's when Evry burst into tears. She jumped up from her chair and sent it flying backwards into the wall. She ran out of the dining room, her hands over her face.

Kit spun toward the twins. "What is wrong with you?"

Z looked down at his hands.

"Nothing's wrong with me," D-rip said, keeping eye contact.

"Not everything is a joke."

"I disagree," D-rip said with a toss of his head.

Z almost looked like he was going to be sick. He'd always been the nicer one.

"Get out!" Kit had never screamed at anyone. Her face was red and her entire body shook. It was almost scary.

"Whoa. Whoa. Chill out." D-rip said.

"I said get out of here."

"He was just kidding around," Z said.

"You need to treat Evry with more respect. Or have you forgotten that the food you're eating came from her family's grocery store?" Kit said.