18 - Home Sweet... Oh Fuck No

"Hello boys," Jamie smiled past my utter silence, filling the tense space, "How was your trip?"

We sort of looked at each other, coming up with shrugs and small nods to express that it was good, but not good enough to forget the awkwardness of having Karen and Cory here.

"Sounds like you all had a great time," Dale nodded with a forced smile, looking towards Jamie for help.

"Um," she began, standing up from her place, "Ben, Green-Bean, Cj...Would you mind waiting upstairs or getting yourselves unpacked?"

"But I want to see the drama!" Ben protested, making me roll my eyes.

Jamie gave Ben an intense look, silently telling him to get his ass to his room and he huffed in defiance before giving up and dragging his luggage upstairs. Green-Bean followed in suit, as did Cj after a bit of hesitance. His absense only heightend my nerves as I watched the four adults, one pair symathetic, the other pair dangerous and plotting.

"Uh, why are you two here?" I asked spitefully, staring at Karen and Cory with the right side of my top lip raised as if in distaste.

Karen was the one to speak, "Because you need to come home."

"No thanks," I quickly declined, moving away from my luggage as I came more into the room, "I'm just fine here."

"If I say you need to come back with me, then that's that."

I scoffed, folding my arms over my chest, "I don't care what you say. I don't want to be anywhere near you or him."

I refused to say Cory's name aloud.

"Kyler..." Jamie began, her voice soft, "We love having you stay here, but Karen is your legal guardian and if they call the police then we may be held responsible for harboring a run away and-"

"Fine, I'll just stay with someone else," I shrugged, throat daring to close with nervousness as my breathing became slightly labored.

Jamie and Dale sighed as they looked at each other and Cory took a step towards me, his eyes like a shots of vemon, "Then we'll call the police on them too. Do you really want that?" I was silent, letting my eyes fall to the floor, "Exactly. Then stop being such a little brat and get your ass in the car."

"Hey, don't talk to him that way," Dale quickly corrected, protective of me like a real father should be.

Cory parted his lips to retaliate, but a strict look from Karen held him from doing so; he looked annoyed, but complied all the same as he kept his mouth shut and folded his arms over his chest.

"Kyler, you understand why you need to come with us now, right?" Karen pressed, her expression tired and her voice lazy as though she truely could care less.

I bit the inside of my cheek, all of their eyes adding to my discomfort, "I'm not going with you."

"Then we'll call the police."

"The police should be the last people you'd want called," I threatened, my eyes darting towards Cory who only squinted at me.

I could see the slight alarm in their eyes as they thought over in their heads ways to get out of this situation. They didn't know whether to call my bluff or not, and I hoped they wouldn't. Of course I wouldn't tell anyone about what happened that night because it was uncomfortable and freaking embaressing, but they weren't so sure about that.

"Why would they be the last people we'd want to be called?" Karen asked with a slight inclination of intimidation in her voice, like she was daring me to flat out say why.