Blood Type Chapter 3

3

I think I ran north. In my original course. But then again, I was so flustered, it was hard to tell.

So there were more of me. There were more kids, well, more people, with powers like mine. Could it be true? It felt like a dream. It had to be a dream.

But it was real. It was completely real. It happened. I met a boy like me… Fitch? Was that his name? It had to be a dream if I couldn’t remember his name. I remember his hair; it was opposite of mine. His wispy white-ish blonde-ish hair. I’d never seen hair like that. I’d seen hair that was curly, but not that wispy.

Mine used to be long and brown. But it changed after my transformation. I saw myself in a mirror at a hospital once. My hair is now short, about to my shoulders, and blonde with black tips. My face changed, as well. Dark circles formed around my eyes. It looks like I’m always wearing makeup. It’s kind-of ironic; I could never wear makeup at school.

I ran until I found another place to stop. It was an abandoned building. But something was fishy about it. My house and all of the other houses around me were always made of metal. So were the hospitals. But this was different.

The building was overgrown by various plants. Weeds grew over it as trees grew in it. They seemed to be breaking the building down; preparing for its inevitable collapse. It didn’t look very stable, but it was shelter.

I opened the door and snuck in. It was dark and cool on the inside, which was wonderful. For some reason I always liked cooler places. I couldn’t stand heat.

I sat in the corner of the building and looked around. It was filled with plants; mostly trees and weeds like the outside. I identified a few, realized that they were edible, and ate them.

I wondered how far that boy’s traps went. Because if he had one, he had to have had more, right? Was he part of the government? No, he couldn’t have been if he let me go. Maybe he was just trying to protect himself, like I was. Maybe he was on the run as well.

I wanted something more to eat. Plants weren’t enough. You can only live off of plants for a little while, ya know. I walked back to the door, placed my head against it, and cracked it open. It creaked loudly in response.

That was strange. I’d never heard a creaky door. Maybe a creaky piece of floor metal, but never a door. I examined the door more closely. Just as I suspected. The door had hinges. Those were so outdated; I’d only seen them one other time in my life. This house was pretty darn old!

I peered around the door; no one was there. All clear. I dashed off to the north, in hope of finding some meat.

It was a cloudy day. The woods seemed eerily calm. I heard birds squawking in the distance, but the calls were scarce. So there were birds, just not a lot of them. That didn’t seem too great. But then again, birds were hard to kill. I’d be lucky to find one limping around.

I withdrew my veins in case I found anything to kill. I was ready. I was always ready.

I stopped to check my surroundings. The woods were silent. A leaf drifted from its old tree to the ground. It kissed the ground, then was picked back up by the wind.

I stared in awe as the leaf flew away. I sighed. I wished I could be more like the leaf. Able to come and go as I pleased. Never held down by anything. Never restrained.

I was pretty much free before my transformation. We were allowed to come and go as long as we were at our houses by our curfews. Some of my friends snuck out once, leaving them in the disciplinary center for the night. They’d wanted me to sneak out with them, but I didn’t have the guts.

Now I had plenty of guts. I could do anything now. I mean, look at me. Jumping from buildings. Running from doctors. Seeing other freaks of nature.

Freaks of nature. Finch. His face reappeared in my mind. Who was he? Why did he even try to help me when I got caught? How was he surviving? And who were the others he talked about?

I made a quick decision. It may have been a decision I made too quickly. But I decided that I was tired of being on the run. Or at least being on the run alone. I wanted to go back to that boy. I wanted to talk to Finch again. He seemed to be happier than I am. He seemed a bit content. He’d said that there were more like us. Maybe they made him happy. Maybe having friends was the key to survival, and even happiness.

Even though I hadn’t found anything to eat, I turned around and began running south, back towards where I’d seen Finch. As I ran, the weather turned. Clouds gathered in the sky. It was like the universe was warning me of something. Like I should turn back. Like this was the wrong decision.

Like I cared. Everything I’d done could have been the wrong decision.

I kept running. My heart skipped beats because of my nervousness. I hadn’t eaten much; I should have had more to eat. My head felt dizzy.

I stopped running. The numerous trees in the woods seemed to spin all around me.

And then I spun, as I fainted and my body collapsed to the ground.