Forever: EPOLIGUE

Start from the beginning

My mother?

Why would I be anything like her. Sure one of best childhood memories included a blonde haired beauty watching from afar while I ran around in lush green yard, but from what I had put together she left when I was young. And it wasn't like I could ask about her without making everyone gloomy for weeks!

I had tried that once, and even though I was just nine, I knew that it was something I should never ask again. The most sacred unspoken rule in our family was : do not talk or even mention her.

It was so bad that I didn't even know her name! I have faint memories of people calling her some unusual name but....I can't seem to get my mind to recall it. All she was called around here is 'her' or 'she'.

"Esme," I asked timidly, "what did Alice mean by that?"

Esme gave me a grim smile, and stared at me with eyes that held so much saddness. "I think you should ask your father that question. It's not my place to say."

Dad...ask my dad? Was she delusional?! It was clear that he was still very much in love with her and it hurt for him to even look at me. He won't admit it, but I could see it in his eyes when ever he's looking at me. It was as if he saw her through me.

Nodding wordlessly I walked to where the music flowed from gracefully. Knocking on the door a few seconds after entering, I took a deep breath hoping that I distracted my thoughts long enough for him not to know what I was going to ask about.

"Dad, I need to talk to...you" I whispered the last word, noticing that the person playing on the grand piano wasnt my dad. It was a strangely familiar women dressed as if she were an ancient warrior queen. It was hard to determine her age, her body and face seemed like she couldnt be more than a few years older than me, but her expression...it seemed so wise -and sad. When her long graceful fingers stoped flowing across the keys, she slightly turned her head in my direction noticing for the first time that someone else was in the room.

"Who are you?" I asked, searching around the room for my absent father. That tune...the one she played so flawlessly on the piano, was one I knew well. Dad used to play it for me when I had nightmares about strange creatures and monsters coming to get me, all he had to do was play those magical notes and all those nightmares went away. When I had asked him what it was called, he smiled painfully and slowely whispered, "Bella's Lullaby".

"A.j.?" Instead she whispered, slowly standing up and taking baby steps towards me.

"Woah!" I held up my hands in protest, "Who the hell are you?"

She stopped and gave me a small smile that reminded me of the ones my dad sometimes got, the smiles to hide away pain.

"I forget sometimes, you're all grown up now." She sighed, and then whispering to herself she murmered, "So this is what mom meant."

I continued to stare at her, debating on whether to stand here and see what she wanted, or run away and look for someone to tell who this person was. The second was the safest...but my curiosity got the best of me.

"Oh how you've grown." She continued. Without letting me have a chance to respond she was hugging  me tightly all of a sudden. I know this should of bothered me because she was a complete stranger, but I felt...safe.

"Oh honey you don't know how much I've missed you. I promise that I won't ever let anyone make me leave you ever again." She smiled giddily, "their defenses were low tonight, that's why I was able to sneak it. But I swear as soon as the time is up I'll come and physically see you."

Physically? What did she mean? Wasnt she hugging me right now?

Before I could ask her, my vision went hazy and the last thing I heard was, "Sleep well my darling."