Connor frowned, not taking the money. “Sabine, I don’ want any money than what I’m owed,” he said firmly.

Sabine took his hand and forced the pouch into it. “It’s not much,” she assured him. “But it’s enough that you won’t have to spend any of what you’ve saved to go and see your sister and her family. I want you to have a happy Christmas,” she said firmly. “So, you will accept this money.”

His hand tightened around the pouch as he managed a small smile. “Thank ye,” he nodded. “It was very thoughtful of ye.”

Sabine could see that he wasn’t pleased with the fact that he was accepting money but she didn’t care. She wouldn’t be taking it back. He deserved the same Christmas that she would be having – a Christmas with family.

Storing the money in his pocket, he pulled a small package from inside his coat. The package was wrapped in brown postage paper and tied with a piece of string.

Sabine accepted it with a wide smile on her face. Untying the string and removing the paper, a small wooden charm on a chain sat in her hand.  

The charm was a tiny, carved, wooden horse. Every crevice was perfect. It was made from a dark wood that mirrored Puissant’s chestnut coat. It was attached to a thin, gold chain so she could wear it as a necklace.

“It’s no’ much,” he said bashfully. “Merry Christmas.”

Sabine gasped. “How did you make this?” she asked after a moment. She couldn’t believe how perfect the charm was. It was faultless and looked like it had been made by a professional.

“A talent I had growing up,” he shrugged. “My brothers’ were better at it.”

“I can’t see how,” she said, shaking her head. Unfastening the clasp on the chain, she held it out to him. “Will you put this on me?” she asked.

Connor nodded, taking the necklace from her. “I dinna make the chain, I’m no’ that skilled,” he clarified as he moved her long, golden hair from her neck. “But I thought ye would like a miniature Puissant.”

Handling the perfect wooden charm, she felt a tear roll down her cheek. “Thank you,” she said sincerely. “This is by far the greatest present I have ever received.”

“Do ye know when ye will return?” he asked quietly, pulling her back into his arms.

“No,” she shook her head. “But it is usually sometime in early January. How long will you be in Scotland for?”

“I won’ stay for long. Perhaps a few days an’ then I’ll travel back down to Nottingham to check on Puissant for ye,” he laughed lightly. Sabine, though, could tell that he was hiding something. His brown eyes looked a little reserved

Since their conversation on her balcony, Connor hadn’t revealed anything further about his family. He hadn’t told her why he’d been lashed or why his father behaved the way he did. She didn’t pressure him to tell her, she knew he would confide in her when he felt ready to.