Chapter 1

"Maya, today is high school. Today is the day we are no longer girls but instead young women who have their whole future ahead of them. Today is the day we decide who we are going to be for the rest of our lives. Our lives will never be the same after we walk through the front doors." Riley preached as we walked from the subway station to our meeting spot.

"Calm down Riles. It's still school; It's just a bigger school." I smiled at her enthusiastic look at the world. She was my best friend, actually she was more like a sister to me, but it was funny at how different we were. Riley saw the world as this place where all her dreams would come true but I was a bit more realistic on life and how everything works. I did have hope for some things; I just was more honest with myself about how things were actually going to happen.

"No, no, no. I am not letting you down play this. Everything is new; new teachers, new classes, new people, new boys!"

"Oh really? New boys? So you're finally moving on from Lucas?" I cocked my brow.

Riley and Lucas; they were basically my middle school's It Couple even though they never truly even were one. They liked each other, even went on a few dates here and there, but it never really amounted to anything. Regardless, I knew her and no matter how much she denied it, she wasn't over him just yet.

"It all depends Maya. Maybe I'll find someone new and fall in love and live happily ever after."

"But who could be better than Ranger Rick?" I cut her off but she chose to ignore my comment. She never did like the nicknames I gave him but deep down I knew he did.

"Or maybe I'll decide Lucas and I should give it another try. Who knows? That's what's so amazing about high school. You never know anything. Everything we thought we knew could change and anything we don't know is possible."

"Ladies!" A voice I knew all too well called from behind us.

We didn't even have to look before we said in unison, "Farkle." Well, we both know that will never change.

"I think now that we're in high school, you should probably give that up buddy." And that was Lucas Friar, our own personal moral compass; here to guide us from right and wrong.

"Y'know Huckleberry, you're finally right for once."

He smiled at me before turning to Riley, "Hi."

"Hi." She smiled back and I knew that was something that probably wouldn't change either.

We finally got to our new high school and paused. I looked over to the other three and realized they were too shocked to say anything so I decided to take the lead, "So this is it huh?"

"My dad's still at John Quincy so he's not going to be my teacher for once." Even though Riley had wanted that for the past few years, her shaking voice showed she was scared. Her dad was her safety net in case things ever got too serious and now she didn't have that. Now, for the first time in her life, she had to fall right into any situation that came her way and handle it all on her.

"No Mr. Matthews, no all being in the same class together, things are changing guys." I said what we were all thinking.

"Come on, not all changes are bad. I mean if nothing ever changed then I wouldn't have ever met you guys." Regardless of what he was saying, I saw a quick flash of worry across Lucas' face. He was always more worried on if his friends were okay rather than if he, himself, was okay. It was one of those things that I really did like about that kid.

Well, what are we all waiting here for? Let us all embark on this new journey." We all laughed as Farkle led the way our new school. He was a total weirdo but I couldn't imagine him any differently than how he is now.