The door opened and my knees went incredibly weak at the sight of the titillating man in front of me. My gaze greedily drank him in; he was wearing a black sweater that accentuated his boxer frame and tight-fitting jeans. The smell of his cologne invaded my senses, making me sway on my feet.

"Holy shit," Travis rumbled, giving me an once-over of his own. Catching my hand, he tugged me inside, wrapping his arm around my waist. "You look gorgeous. I'm rethinking taking you out tonight."

I hummed, breathing him in. Grabbing a fistful of his sweater in both hands, I wet my lips. "Does that mean we can skip this thing? Because honestly, I have diabolical plans for you right now."

He growled, head dipping to kiss me long and deep. "Don't tempt me, Maddie."

I arched an eyebrow in silent query.

His mouth curved. "Okay, we'll stick around for a couple of hours and leave early. And then you can have your wicked way with me."

I grinned. "Deal."

*

As we walked across the lawn to the Sigma Pi house, Oliver and Scarlett were waiting outside for us along with several of Travis' frat brothers. While he greeted his friends, I joined Scarlett who regarded me with her brows raised.

"Things work out between you two?"

I shrugged noncommittedly. "Just a misunderstanding, is all."

She gestured her head toward the house. "You know you're going to be the centre of the topic, right?"

I blew out a breath, my eyes falling on Travis. His friends were heckling him for something but his gaze was fixed on me.

"Yeah," I answered Scarlett, turning back to her. "Might as well get it over with. There's not much to say about it, anyway."

Travis strode towards me, hands jammed into his pockets. "You ready?"

I nodded.

Oliver sparked up with a cigarette as soon as we went through the doors, adding to the already hazy room. The floor vibrated with the music that travelled from the basement, and the smell of cheap beer hit me immediately.

The horde of eyes swung to us as if they sensed Travis, each one the same wide-eyed, cud-chewing as the other. Travis squeezed my hip when I took a deep breath and let it go.

We breezed through, heading toward the kitchen where Travis snagged a handful of beers. I recognized some classmates from my law class and we chatted for a while about case studies. Soon enough, Travis and I were the focal point of the conversation.

"So are y'all dating or what?" A busty blonde gestured between us. I didn't know what her name was—she looked like a Brooke. Those within earshot fabricated being busy with their own conversations but their heads turned towards us a little, curious as they awaited the answer.

My eyes cut to Travis. He gave me a resolute smile, silently communicating that he'd roll with whatever I said.

Glancing at Brooke, I shrugged and said, "We're just friends."

That wasn't enough for Brooke. "With benefits, right? Or what do y'all prefer? Fuck buddies? Cum chums?" She giggled but there was a trivial malice in her tone.

My nose flared and before I could snap an irritated comment, Travis dawdled closer to me, protectively pulling me toward his chest, his chin resting on the top of my head. "Mind your fucking business, Claire." Okay, so I was way off with the whole Brooke thing.