What should you do?

Ways to deal with the emotional pain caused by being bullied.

Everyone knows or has been told what you are supposed to do when you are being bullied.

"Get help."

"Tell a trusted adult."

"Stand up for yourself."

"Walk with your friends or by a teacher, not alone."

This is all good advice, and should be done for sure, because it may need to be done in order to stop the bullying, but it doesnt help with the emotional pain caused. I have a few things that always make me feel at least a little better.

First you should know, you have to choose to be happy. In order to do that you have to really want it. Not for others, but for yourself. You have to want it, then choose to be, and hen you have to let yourself be happy. Because without doing those things happiness can be really hard to find and to hold on to.

1. Anytime I feel depressed or suicidal, or even mad or upset I write lists. I write lists of reasons that I want to live, reasons I have to be happy, and even just lists of things I like and that make me smile. Usually the worse I feel, the shorter the list, but it doesnt matter how small the thing is. If it makes you happy, put it on there.

As cliche as everything on them may seem, it really does help. Write your own if you need something to make you feel better and feel like you cant handle everything going on. Turn to this instead of something like self harm. On the next page are a couple of mine. If you want send it to me, and I will publish it on a new page attached to this. It doesnt matter if it has some of the same things as mine! It may help and inspire others.

2. Do something to keep busy and keep your mind off of everything. Often times I would end up cleaning just as something to do so that I wouldnt turn to worse things. You can read a book, clean, listen to music, play a (safe) game, talk on the phone, or even message me. I'm always here to listen and try to help as best I can.

3. Try something new. Learn to play an instrument, get new clothes, a new haircut, anything that may help you feel like you are getting a new start. That's what so many of us want, right? Create your own new start. But be careful not to change into a different person, because you are amazing just the way you are. And you should believe it, because it's the 100% truth.

4. When I start to feel bad about myself and believe the horrible things people have said to me, I'll write on my arm or hand (wherever I will see it but others won't) something like "I am beautiful" or "I am strong" or "I am invincible." As cheesy as it may sound to you, it helps. Give it a try. :)