VIII

Grace came back to the room with lunch for Marley. She looked tired and stressed. She reminded Marley of her mother, concerned always and never quite had a smile on her face. Marley looked up at her and offered a weak smile, and Grace looked at her.

"How do you feel sweetheart?" Tired, scared, hungry, small.

"I'm alright." She eyed the food, and Grace followed her eyes and set the tray on a table in front of her.

"You really need this darling; your eating disorder is getting quite out of hand." Marley's eyes went wide, but she quickly adjusted. She had to play along, it would be the only thing that would work for her to keep Aaron on the down-low.

"This is a lot.." She peeked up at Tate. Grace sighed and nodded.

"I don't expect you to eat everything, or a lot for that matter, but please try." Marley nodded and started wrapping the spaghetti around her fork.

"I don't like eating in front of people," she said quietly. Grace nodded and smiled. She pulled Tate up and brought him out of the room. She closed the door and spoke quietly.

"I need you to find out more about her, what her story is." Tate nodded and breathed. "We should get you to school, so you're not behind. And get her work too."

"Okay." He seemed defeated. He needed to tell someone, to keep her safe. But he felt guilty telling. He was guilty either way. He simply went to school without a word.

Marley ate nervously and knew her limits. If she had to commit to the eating disorder in order to keep her life hidden, she had to really sell it. The food tasted exquisite, and used to eating so little, it would be so satisfying to indulge in every single bite.

But she refrained; she ate about a quarter of the food before pressing the call button. A nurse came within a few seconds.

"Are you finished sweetheart?" she asked hoping she wouldn't be. Marley nodded and the nurse halfheartedly took her plate. Marley sipped her water and started to curl up under the covers when Grace came in and sat by her.

"Hey hon, I'm Grace, Tate's mom." She smiled, and Marley barely smiled back. "Tate and I have been filling out your paperwork, but there are a lot of blanks, things we don't know. Do you think you're well enough to sit up and help me with some of them?" She looks like Tate. She's nice like Tate. You can trust her, like Tate. Marley sat up and nodded.

"I can help." It came out at a whisper and she cleared her throat. Grace smiled.

"Perfect, let's see here." She held a clipboard that had the hospital name on the back. "Your parents, who are we to contact?" Marley's stomach turned, but she didn't miss a beat.

"I live in a shelter, downtown. I haven't ever met my parents." Grace looked at her with sympathy and put her hand on Marley's. Marley gave her a 'I know, poor me' smile and looked down.

"I'm so sorry sweetheart.." She looked down. Marley felt bad about how she made people feel, but she had to keep her identity safe. "How did you know to come to our house?"

"Tate's my only friend from school that I knew would help me.. He really cares.."

"He's also very concerned. He wants to know you're safe.." Marley looked down and bit her lower lip.

"Thank you.. for all this.. I'm sorry, I'm just tired." She held her head and Grace nodded. She stood and patted her leg.

"We can talk later." She left with the paperwork. Marley was relieved and finally let herself breathe regularly. She laid into the blankets, genuinely feeling sleepy. She closed her eyes and faded into the darkness.

Tate's leg hit the desk making a clanking noise, yet again, in Mr. Moore's class. The unimpressed teacher gave him the evil eye as students murmured and snickered. Becky threw a piece of wadded up paper at the back of his head. He smirked and, without reading it, shoved it in his mouth and made sure it hit her. She cringed and used about half her new container of fruity scented hand sanitizer to clean herself off.

The day went by agonizingly slowly as he waited for his opportunity to check on Marley. He was worried his mother would try to pry her secrets from her in order to feel controlled in the situation. Grace had always found herself wanting to have control in everything so she knew everything would end up according to her agenda.

Tate looked up at the clock. 37 minutes. 8 minute bus ride. 3 minute check in. 2 minutes to find her room. Marley. He held onto the thought of her smile. Her shiney teeth, her full cheeks. Almost happy. Almost.

He glanced down to his lap and reread the words she wrote in her book that she had left in his locker. He felt them with his fingers, the indents from the pen. He couldn't believe the state he saw her in last night. How black her eyes were, how small she looked. Empty.

He looked up and pretended to be studying until the bell rang. He sprinted to the city bus instead of the school bus. He paid for a ticket and sat towards the back. He stared out the window, waiting for the blue hospital sign to come into view. He bit his lower lip until it bled. He held his backpack close.

When the bus stopped at the hospital, he jumped off and ran to the door. 2 minutes early. He checked in and saw his mom in the hall. She was sitting next to Marley's room writing on the green clipboard. He gave a weak smile at her, and she hugged him. He hugged her and spoke softly.

"Can I go in?" She nodded and he softly opened the door. She looked like she was sleeping, a small mound in the covers. He came beside her and noticed she was shaking. How can she be so cold? he thought when he felt her cheek. He was delicate as he pulled the covers more over her. She shifted and settled into them before her eyes fluttered open. A very tired smile formed in the corners of her mouth.

"Hi.." she whispered. He smiled.

"Hi.. Why are you so cold?"

"Oh, um, I'm like that all the time." Probably from lack of nutrients, he thought. He took her hand in his and held it. It was warm within a few minutes, but he held onto her as she did to him.

"You need to tell her the truth Mar.." She looked down and her grip slightly loosened.

"I told you why I can't.."

"Marley, it's stupid to keep letting him hurt you, he's killing you!"

"Keep your voice down." She sat up and looked nervous and hurt. "I can't help it, you don't choose your family."

"You can choose what family you're with-"

"I can't!" Tears formed in her eyes and she started to curl into the covers. "I just needed your help with this, please Tate.." He frowned and looked down. He slowly nodded even though he didn't entirely agree. She closed her eyes and buried her face in the blankets. So he wouldn't see the tears fall.