24.Trial by Silence

Labyrinth // Taylor Swift

Colleen glares at me. Her hair is tangled from sleep and our magic making. She's still in the tiny blue sleep shorts and tank top she wore to bed. Nothing about this woman is intimidating in the least on a good day and even less in this state, but I'm scared shitless right now.

"You have someone spying on my high school ex-boyfriend, Clinton. This is unhinged."

"Not someone. My brother, Frank. Just keeping tabs. I don't trust the guy."

"You're using your brother, a homicide detective who doesn't even live in the same town as my ex to watch him?" Her eyebrows shoot to her forehead. "Is this even legal?"

"Ross has a record. Of course, it's legal. Cops keep tabs on all kinds of repetitive criminals." She's right though. Surveillance this detailed on a small-time crime junkie like Ross is a stretch. But it's one I'm willing to take.

She rolls her eyes. "He pulled a prank in high school and got arrested. I'd hardly call that a life of crime."

"His rap sheet is much longer than that." Colleen looks shocked but doesn't recant her statement. The fact that she knows so little about his life should comfort me. Clearly, they haven't kept in touch. But it only heightens my worries. She has no idea what kind of guy he is, which means he'll have an easier time pulling the wool over her eyes. I tilt my head, trying to make sense of her objections. "Are you defending him?"

"No!" She closes her eyes, taking a breath before speaking again. "No. I'm just saying. This is next level. This is crazy. Am I just a kid to you? Spying on me like you would a teenager?"

"Not you, him." I emphasize my objective while attempting to step closer to her. She pulls away again, moving to the end of the bed then pacing the width of it.

"Don't you trust me?" Her words are strained.

"Yes, I trust you. Of course. But not him." I've had a bad feeling about Ross since the moment I heard about him. The intercepted texts that Frank showed me, with the veiled innuendos signaling his true purpose for this spontaneous road trip solidified my position. The last year of my life has been a shit show of missed signals with Curt, I won't be caught off guard again with Colleen's ex. Until I'm relatively certain Rosshole isn't a threat, I'm keeping tabs on him. If I could, I'd be his shadow, the thing that haunts his steps. But the timing couldn't be worse. Right now, if I focus on keeping Colleen safe and make Ross my priority, I fail with everyone else. If I throw my focus where I should to do my damn job, I neglect her safety as my first task, something that eats at my instincts. Either way, if I do things the way my gut is telling me, I'm fucked. So, yeah, I'm using my brother to keep my own sanity and it might be out of the confines of his job, but I couldn't give less of a fuck.

"I can't talk you out of this, can I?" she asks, sparing me a glance. Her request puts me in a tough position. I don't want to upset her. But I need to know she's safe more than I need her understanding.

I won't let this piece of shit get his hands on her. If he touches her, even breathes in her presence, I'll end him.

But I don't say this to her. If she's this upset that Frank is keeping an eye on Ross, she'll lose her shit if she finds out what I'll do when he makes his move. Because I'm not deluding myself about Ross. He will make a move. It's simply a matter of when.

"I'll keep my distance." I'm not lying. I will keep my distance as long as he does the same. All bets are off if he sets foot in her town.

"Why don't I believe you?"

"I trust you. You'll just have to trust me."

Colleen takes a deep breath. I watch as her shoulders rise and fall, her eyes fixed on the hotel room carpet. "We have a long day ahead. I need to get ready."