PROLOGUE

The evening breeze swept through the gardens of Malacañang Palace, rustling the leaves of the grand trees and carrying with it the faint melodies of classical music

The evening breeze swept through the gardens of Malacañang Palace, rustling the leaves of the grand trees and carrying with it the faint melodies of classical music. Inside the palace, in a room filled with the warm glow of candlelight and the rich scent of polished wood, sat a young woman, her fingers dancing gracefully over the strings of a cello.

Eden Marcos, the epitome of elegance and poise, poured her heart into each note she played, losing herself in the music that had become her sanctuary. As she reached the crescendo of a particularly moving piece, the door to her music room creaked open, and a familiar figure stepped inside.

"Tito Bonget," Eden greeted without looking up, her fingers never faltering in their dance across the strings.

Bongbong Marcos, Eden's uncle and guardian, leaned against the door frame, a faint smile playing on his lips. "You play beautifully, as always, Eden."

Eden finally lifted her gaze from her instrument, offering her uncle a small smile in return. "Thank you, Tito Bonget. What brings you here this evening?"

Bongbong stepped further into the room, his expression turning serious. "I have something important to discuss with you, Eden."

Setting her cello aside, Eden turned her full attention to her uncle, a hint of concern flickering in her eyes. "Is everything alright?"

Bongbong hesitated for a moment before nodding. "It's about your mother, Irene. She's... she's coming back."

The mention of her mother's name sent a ripple of emotions through Eden, her fingers curling into fists against her lap. "Coming back? After all this time?"

Bongbong nodded gravely. "Yes, Eden. She's decided to return."

Silence settled between them, the weight of Bongbong's words hanging heavily in the air. Eden's mind raced with a whirlwind of conflicting emotions – anger, resentment, curiosity, and a sliver of hope that she dared not acknowledge.

"Why now?" Eden finally asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Bongbong sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I don't have all the answers, Eden. Your mother's decision is her own, but she's reached out to me, asking for a chance to make amends."

A bitter laugh escaped Eden's lips, devoid of any humor. "Make amends? After fifteen years?"

Bongbong's expression softened with empathy as he moved to sit beside his niece. "I know it's difficult to understand, Eden. But your mother has her reasons, and perhaps it's time for you to hear her out."

Eden shook her head adamantly, her eyes flashing with defiance. "I have nothing to say to her. She abandoned us, Tito Bonget. She doesn't get to waltz back into our lives as if nothing happened."

Bongbong reached out, placing a comforting hand on Eden's shoulder. "I understand your anger, Eden. But your mother is still your mother. And despite everything that has happened, she loves you."

The mention of love only fueled Eden's frustration, her walls closing in around her. "Love? If she loved us, she wouldn't have left. She wouldn't have shattered our family."

Tears threatened to spill from Eden's eyes, but she blinked them away, refusing to show any sign of weakness. Bongbong watched her with a mixture of sadness and understanding, knowing that there were no easy answers to heal the wounds of the past.

"I won't force you to see her, Eden," Bongbong said softly. "But I hope that one day, you'll find it in your heart to forgive her. For your sake, if not for hers."

Eden said nothing in response, her gaze fixed on the floor as she wrestled with her emotions. As the night wore on, the shadows in the music room deepened, shrouding Eden in a cloak of uncertainty. And amidst the silence that followed, she knew that the return of her mother would bring not only the promise of reconciliation but also the unraveling of the carefully constructed facade she had built around her heart.