Awakenings

I woke, not knowing where I was, until I realized I was lying in bed wearing a linen nightgown, my hair had been freshly braided. Why was I in bed? I tried to sit up, but became dizzy and fell back onto my pillow.

"No, mistress, you must not try to get up." I became aware that there was a maid sitting beside my bed. "Please, you must not get up, " she repeated and rose and ran out of the room, returning with Lady Campbell.

"Oh, my dear, we were so worried." Lady Campbell brushed my hair back from my forehead, and kissed me. "The others will be so pleased that you are all right, and the baby..."

"My baby? What about my baby? What happened to me?" Little bits and pieces of memory were starting to come back, like vague images from a dream.

"You have been unconscious for a week; the strain of learning what happened to Georgie was too much for you." I put my hands over my eyes, the tears now coming of their own will. "Please, my dearest," she said, "The doctor and midwife both agree that you are not yet out of danger, but you are a strong and healthy girl, and your body may be able to take the shock. You have not lost the baby, yet, but you must take care and rest to avoid doing so. The doctor says there is a good chance you will have a healthy pregnancy."

She sat beside me on the bed and took me in her arms, letting me cry. "There, there, my darling, God does not give us these trials without a reason. You are surrounded by people who love you, and one day you will wake up to discover that life goes on." She pushed me away gently and looked at me, "I was a young widow, just like yourself. I thought that I would never love again, and then I met Adam. You must take your time to grieve, but life manages to find its way. You are too young and beautiful for your life to be over, trust me." She kissed me and left me on my own at my request.

But was your husband murdered by his cousin, I wanted to ask. I knew what Colin had planned, had the Christmas gifts of boar spears been part of his scheme? How could such kind and gentle people produce a son like him, for had I not known for sure of Colin's plans, I perhaps could have married him—if I'd planned to stay here, that is.

I had not counted on falling in love so passionately with Georgie. I had not planned on our marriage. I had not planned on our baby. I dared not go to Inverness and the stone circle just yet. I did not know what would happen to my baby if I tried to return to the stones—and my own time and life. There was another life to think of now, and I was determined to make sure that Georgie's baby lived, and thrived. He would not die in infancy or childhood, he would see manhood, I would make sure of it.

I would have to leave here, soon, but I needed to make sure that I would be strong enough to ride. With luck, and patience, I would regain my strength in a week or two. I didn't want to wait until too late in my pregnancy to ride all the way to Clan Frazer lands, because it would not be a short journey and might involve hard riding.

How long would it take Colin to declare himself? That he intended to do it was beyond doubt. A year of mourning would be considered proper for a woman in my circumstances, maybe even two, but would he be patient enough to wait that long? Why didn't he wait until my baby was born, or did he think that the shock of Georgie's death would make me miscarry, which could have happened.

He would not be so crass as to propose marry right away, or would he? The family might not oppose it, but I was sure that they would not pressure me to marry until I was out of mourning, or at least into light mourning. It didn't matter anyway, I was determined to leave Chateau La Mere, and make good my escape. I would simply have to be very careful, not make my intentions known, and be very careful when it came to Colin Campbell.

I went to my jewelry box, and take out the piece of amber Jamie sent me, running the cord through my fingers. I did not know if my maids could be trusted. I was sure that Lady Campbell chose them, but Colin might pay them to keep an eye on me. I am going to have to find a hiding place that no one but me would know about. All I needed to do was pack some clothes and necessities, and stash it away for when I leave. My money was safely hidden, there is nothing like cold hard cash when it comes to bribes.