She smiled thankfully. "Thank you so much."

She stepped around me, and I let her. I followed her out of the cellar.

She gasped and stumbled back when she spotted the unconscious man on the ground. She nearly fell down the stairs, but I caught her. I could've let her fall down, but that wouldn't be nearly as fun of a way to break her.

"Is he dead?" she asked, not being able to take her eyes off of him.

I shook my head with a smile. My father looked good as a rug on my floor. Maybe a wolf rug would do this place some good. "He's not dead, pet. He's just knocked out."

"So now I can escape from here?" she asked hopefully as she tried to pull away from me.

She still thought she had a chance.

"No, no, pet. You're staying here with me."

She tugged at my grasp again. "But… but you said you'd let me go," she pleaded.

"I did no such thing." Her struggles were nothing against a wolf's strength. I picked her up and carried her forward. She scratched, kicked and bit me, but it did no good. They only fed the fire burning in me. I slammed her forward, over the only sturdy table we had. It was the perfect height for what I had planned

She moaned in pain after her skull collided with the thick wood. "Now, pet, this will be a whole lot less painful if you just relax. Otherwise, I'd imagine, this will hurt a lot."

The woman started screaming and crying once she realized what fate awaited her, but no one could hear her.

Lexi's point of view

It was four days after we mate-bonded that things started happening.

We weren't getting anywhere. The scents weren't as obvious anymore. The two murderous wolves probably knew we were after them. They were being careful now.

I hated to admit it, but until we got another victim, we were at a standstill. These wolves weren't wet behind the ears. They knew how to mask their scents from tracking and how to hide.

The atmosphere of the room changed instantly when a shock stricken werewolf stumbled into the house.

Mason and the alpha stood immediately to protect against any possible dangers.

"There's a dead body." The wolf panted between his words. "Grant is with it."

Alpha Dean and Mason exchanged glances.

It was time to go to work.

"And you didn't think to link us when it happened?" Alpha Dean snapped angrily.

The wolf bowed his head. "I'm sorry, Alpha. I didn't know what to do but run like hell back here and tell you."

The alpha rolled his eyes towards the ceiling. "You're all incompetent."

I knew that there was going to some kind of payback from the rogues. Mason had hurt one of them. I was prepared for it, but I had expected it to be more of a direct approach, this wasn't. 

We were loaded in the cars in no time. Mason and I didn't wait for the pack cars, we followed Dean's car to the crime scene. The other cars trailed after us, most of them were full with curious wolves. None of them would end up being very effective.

Looking at the dead girl, I felt ashamed. If we had caught these wolves, she would be alive. They had killed this girl because we had hurt them. They should have been dead, but they weren't. This girl was our responsibility. She was dead because I had allowed them to slip away.