1357: You Can't Run Away from the End of the World

He Huan gasped for breath as he pushed open the door, not bothering to glance at the empty living room, and hurriedly walked towards the bedroom.

Lin Sanjiu discovered him, but fortunately, he realized it in time. They were now trapped in a game of cat and mouse, with the roles of cat and mouse constantly changing with time and their decisions. Until the very end, nothing was certain.

Lin Sanjiu knew his apartment address, so if he were being pursued, he wouldn't return here—but it was precisely because he thought of this that he took the risk to come back.

His storage items had failed not long ago, so he could only hide the things he couldn't carry with him in the bedroom; after quickly packing a travel bag, he stepped out. When passing by the bathroom, He Huan suddenly paused, stopped, and pushed open the door.

Everything was the same as before as if nothing had happened. Light spilled from above the mirror, and the stainless-steel faucet gleamed brightly. Next to the white porcelain sink, a cup was on the countertop. The transparent glass shimmered, and the deep reddish-brown whiskey sat quietly at the bottom of the cup.

He hesitated for a moment. He should leave as soon as possible to prevent the slight possibility of Lin Sanjiu appearing here from becoming true.

After thinking for a moment, he placed the backpack on the floor and walked into the living room. After a while, he appeared again at the bathroom door, holding a bottle of whiskey.

He poured the old whiskey into the cup and placed it on the countertop. The amber liquid's remnants slid down the transparent cup like amber, gathering at the bottom.

"I don't want to call you Old Guan... Guan Hailian, right?" He Huan opened the bottle and slowly poured whiskey into the cup. "This might be the last drink... I've been discovered by her. You should be relieved, right?"

He paused, looking at the half-filled glass of whiskey.

"I should leave too," He Huan suddenly smiled self-deprecatingly, putting down the bottle and picking up the backpack. "I only have one direction to go now."

He wasn't sentimental, nor did he like that kind of fussiness. He stepped on Guan Hailian's body to survive. He had long accepted this fact, so he didn't hesitate when he acted—until everything was over. Director Li, waiting outside, called people in to carry the body. That was the first time he felt shaken.

At that moment, He Huan stood in the corridor, one hand dripping wet. Two men wearing coveralls and masks carried a black body bag from outside. The bag seemed heavy even though the body hadn't been placed inside yet.

As the two passed by He Huan, he felt an unmistakable chill emanating from the body bag; a faint mist formed outside the black bag. "Where?" one of the movers asked.

He Huan's mind went blank, and he pointed to the bathroom.

The movers carried the heavy body bag, which should have been empty; when the zipper was pulled open with a click, He Huan peeked inside the bathroom.

A layer of ice had been laid at the bottom of the black body bag.

He walked into the living room almost numbly, waiting for Guan Hailian to receive a hug from the ice-filled body bag. After the two movers left, Director Li said a few more words to him—mostly cautionary, probing, promising, and praising, the usual dog training routine.

These were all temporary; after he climbed up, everything would be fine.

He Huan responded to everything with perfunctory words. Still, he felt that in that glance just now, a layer of ice in the bag crawled into his mind along the gaze and fell deep into his body with a chilling sensation.