23. Neo City

Author's Note - Hey FYI yall some fics on this app are getting deleted out of nowhere (one of my verkwan fics got deleted Boooooo - that was not a pun). So, in case this story disappears, it wasn't me i swear!! I have this on AFF or AO3 in case that happens!

Anyways, two chapters left! Enjoy!

Mark couldn't stop thinking of Donghyuck.

They were going to kill him. Donghyuck was a prince thought to have been murdered years ago but wasn't, and yet they were going to try to kill again.

They couldn't. Mark wouldn't let them.

He couldn't fight the guards, though, when he got captured. As much as he wanted to fight them... he couldn't.

Because he knew that he had to protect Donghyuck. And not just Donghyuck.

Someone wanted the royal family dead, and Mark knew deep down that should they achieve it, something bad was going to happen to the Kingdom of Korea.

He had to... he had to find Jaehyun.

***

"HOW DO YOU KNOW WHERE HE IS HEADING?" Xiaojun yelled, using his free hand to pull down his hat lower, protecting his eyes from the gust of the wind.

The two of them were on a horse, with Johnny having control of the reigns leading them to Neo City. What should have been a four-hour trip was clearly not going to be the case with each passing minute. Xiaojun had yet to wonder if that was a good or bad thing.

By some miracle, Johnny managed to hear him. "MARK COMMITTED TREASON, IT'S WHERE HE SHOULD BE HELD!" he explained loudly, yanking the reins so that the horse could go faster.

Xiaojun held tighter onto Johnny, one arm around the latter's waist to prevent him from falling off the horse. "I THOUGHT PRINCE JISUNG WAS SUPPOSED TO STAY IN THE COUNTRYSIDE IN THE MEANTIME!"

Johnny didn't respond, steering the horse in the right direction, so Xiaojun assumed the conversation to be dropped and didn't press any further, too busy mentally worrying about not falling the speeding horse.

They stayed silent for what must have been a couple of minutes, Xiaojun recognizing the route to Neo City back to when he was a student when they suddenly heard someone scream "STOP!" behind him.

Johnny ignored the voice, but Xiaojun couldn't help himself but to look, his eyes widening in response to him getting startled.

"Oh, fuck, JOHNNY!" Xiaojun screamed, tugging Johnny's shirt. "YOU NEED TO STOP!"

"I HAVE TO RESCUE MY BROTHER-"

"By order of King Huang we ask that you guys STOP!"

With that comment, Johnny pulled back the reins abruptly, the horse neighing loudly as they stopped, where Johnny could turn around and get a closer look at the people who yelled at him.

Those people being Chinese guards, that is.

"They're not the shooter," one of them murmured to their captain besides them.

The leader shook his head, holding his spear up higher. "By the Kingdom of China, you two are arrested as possible suspects for Prince Hendery's attempted assassination, and we ask that you both cooperate."

***

In one of the towns that they encountered, there was a wagon that was taking customers to many cities along the way, including Neo City, so Kun and Donghyuck managed to hop in right before they departed.