Chapter 6- Meeting Jessica's Parents

Start from the beginning

"Where were you last night!? Your father and I were worried sick!" she demands hugging her daughter in a tight hug at the same time only to push her back at arms length and glare at her. "Ahem, excuse me. Hi, I'm Kaylee Scott." I say introducing myself politely, pretending their little spat wasn't even going on. Her mother smiles warmly at me "Hello Kaylee, I'm Anna Night and this is my husband, Robert Night" she says as a man walks up behind her. Shaking their hands, I introduce myself to him again with an easy going look before Mrs. Night starts to chew her daughter out again.

Somehow, we end up in their living room and once again, I'm blown away at how big was at this house. Listening in for a few Moments, I looked around curiously. "Excuse my interruption," I say turning to the two parents "but if you need someone to blame, direct your blame at me. Your lovely daughter invited me over to work on a school project after our district soccer championship game today but I got distracted by your beautiful horses. We went riding and got a bit lost in the woods, I got a bit curious on what was out there but my horse got spooked a bit and so we got very lost. We didn't make it out until this morning" I say calmly. Her parents looked a bit flustered and surprised for a long Moment before reacting.

"Lost? Oh my poor baby girl! Are you okay? Did you eat anything last night? I hope you didn't get to cold! It was cold last night, are you okay? Oh my poor girl" she frets, completely forgetting about being mad. Jessica just nods and answers all her mothers questions while being smothered in hugs and kisses. Nevertheless, her Mom dragged her off to feed and make sure she was okay.

Her Dad turns to me a Moment later with a curious look "Soccer you say? How'd the game go?" he asks curiously. "Yessir, we won, 3-2." I answer turning to him with a smile. A huge smile crosses his face as he pats my shoulder "Congratulations!" he says, voice booming throughout the huge home. "This calls for a mini celebration! What position do you play?" he asks pulling me into the kitchen.

"Pretty much anywhere, it depends who I work with that particular week. Usually forward but I'm compatible with the other positions as well" I respond sitting down at the island. Mr. Night nods holds up a wine bottle "You drink? And what do you mean by work with and all? You the captain or something?" he asks pouring some wine into glasses. I nodded and picked one up "Yessir, thank you" "Robert! why does our guest have wine!?" a female voice shrieks from behind us.

Glancing over my shoulder, I saw Jessica standing in the door way with her mother who look appalled. "A celebration for their win of course!" he says raising his glass. His wife just gives him a blank look "Okay?" she says looking confused. Tapping my glass against Mr. Night's glass, I took a sip and smiled "She doesn't know her sports to well. I used to play soccer when I was a lad" he clarifies. "Ah, no worries. You've got your love for sports and she's got her elsewhere" I remark sipping my glass again.

"Oh, I forgot to ask if you're of age?" he says suddenly. His wife smacks his arm with a scowl and the roll of her eyes. "Ah no sir but I've had my fair share and my Mother doesn't really mind" more like doesn't care but whatever. Mr. Nights nods and put the wine and cups away once we were finished.

Looking around again, I noted how nice it really was. It was big and sunny, lots of windows and such streaming in. They had a back deck that looked over their huge yard. Very fancy indeed even it it was probably simple by their standards.

Sitting back in my seat, I watched the three of them interact and talk about whatever. I kept my mouth shut and just sat there half listening, half watching. I envied Jessica, her family was a real one. They all loved each other, they all cared and they all were happy. The angry jealous part of my mind was wondering why I couldn't have that? I bet they don't even know what true suffering was or what it was like to be without money and riches all the time.