22. Young Forever

"When are we going?"

Day asked, as they began to descend the stairs. Mhok clutched his boyfriend's arm securely.

"After dinner," He smiled, "I've already told my parents about this. They are alright with it as long we spend the New Year's Eve here."

"That's great then," a smile lit up Day's face as well, "I've never camped before."

"You'll be fine," Mhok assured, "We're going to have so much fun."

Day nodded, and they joined Mhok's parents for dinner.

His parents were nice people who were still so in love with each other. Mhok had always admired his parents' relationship. He always wanted to have what they had, and now he knew that he was already there.

"Did you like the food, Day?" His mother asked.

"Yes," Day nodded with a smile, "I love it." The food indeed was delicious.

After dinner, Mhok promised his parents that they'd return the next day before setting off to the nearest camping spot. The drive took about only an hour, so they weren't really tired.

The atmosphere was turning dark, and the pink sky was already bidding farewell.

Mhok got out of the car and helped Day out as well. They had checked the weather report, and it was assured that this was a suitable day to set up a tent.

Mhok inhaled deeply, taking in the beauty of the cliff. The clouds, the mist, the greenery; everything was just so beautiful.

He turned his head towards an even more beautiful sight, "Let's put up the tent, okay?"

"Yes," Day smiled with determination.

In the next thirty minutes, they were done with that activity. Mhok had some experience in that field, so it was easy.

"I'm glad I chose this," Day leaned against Mhok as they sat outside.

"Of course, my boyfriend knows the best." He kissed Day's hair.

"Yeah, sure," Day could never get used to his flirtatious lover.

"I can't believe it's New Year already."

"I can't either," He held Day tighter.

"What's the time now?"

"It's 11:40," Mhok informed.

"Wow, that was fast."

"I know, right?" Mhok said, "Time just seems to pass so quickly when I'm with you."

"Oh, alright," He pushed Mhok slightly.

"I'm glad it's not too cold," Mhok ran his hand along on Day's side.

"Yes, this weather is good and bearable." Day sighed in satisfaction, "Wait, what's that sound?"

"It's the fireworks," He looked at his clueless boy, "It's so pretty."

"I can imagine," Day smiled brightly.

Mhok wished that Day could also enjoy the fireworks with him, but the reality was often bitter.

He gazed at Day, and he could see the reflection of the colorful fireworks on his face. Involuntarily, his hands found Day's face.

Day frowned before a smile adorned his face, "Wait till the New Year, P'Mhok."

Mhok glanced at his watch, "It's 11:55, Day."

Day blinked, "Then wait for five more minutes."

Mhok smirked, caressing his face, "What if I don't want to?"

Day rolled his eyes, "Then you're getting no kisses."

"No," Mhok retracted his hands back, "I'll wait, you know I'm a very patient man."

"Yeah, I know." Day smiled knowingly.

"I'm glad I met you," Mhok admitted.

"Wow, that was so random," Day smiled as his heart began to race.

"I just had to let it out," Mhok held Day's hand, "When it comes to you, I can't take any risks. What if there's no tomorrow?"

"You're overthinking," Day pointed out, "Let's just enjoy the moment, okay?"

Mhok smiled affectionately, "Yes, sir."

The fireworks became brighter and louder as the minutes passed, indicating that it was time. Mhok's eyes lingered on the watch as its hands moved painfully slow.

And it was time. Mhok let out a breath.

"Happy New Year, Day." He took his hands.

Day held onto his hands tightly, "Happy New Year, P'Mhok."

"Tonight's a gift for me," Mhok kissed Day's hand.

"I can say the same."

He smiled, "Can I kiss you now?"

Day nodded, "Since you're such a patient man."

He chuckled before bringing his face closer to Day's. He grabbed Day's face and pressed their lips together. He couldn't think of any better way to start this year. They kissed for a long time without letting the worldly hindrances affect their perfect moment of serenity.

They had each other in that moment, and that was enough.

"Let's leave it at that," Mhok breathed out hastily as they parted.

He didn't want to stop, but it was for the better. He didn't want Day to do anything he'd not like. So Mhok was ready to wait for as long as Day wanted before they could take the next step.

Day smiled, his flushed face only adding to his adorable factor, "Let's go to sleep."

The fireworks had died down anyway, so they decided to get in the tent.

Mhok zipped the tent safely and laid down next to Day, cuddling him. He left peppered kisses all over Day's face.

"P'Mhok," Day scrunched his nose, "Sleep now."

"Okay, okay," Mhok left a last kiss on Day's neck, "Good night, love."

Day smiled, "So this is our first New Year together?"

"Yes," Mhok nodded, "First of many."

"So does that mean we're going to be together for a long time?" Day asked in a light-hearted manner.

"Yes," Mhok said confidently.

"Even when we're old and wrinkly?"

Mhok laughed, "No, we'll stay young forever."

Day also laughed, "As if."

"I'd love to grow old with you." Mhok ran his hand through Day's hair, "That'll be a privilege."

"Cheesy," Day shoved Mhok gently, "Go away."

Mhok laughed and kissed Day's forehead, "Alright, I'll sleep." Day smiled.

This was the best New Year of their life.

And the New Year's in the future would only get better.