Chapter 16 - Day of Reckoning

Amaris POV

Present Day

The trip to Devon's pack is uneventful. The northeastern portion of the lands tends to be more mountainous. The scenery is beautiful with long stretches of flat grasslands with a backdrop of breathtaking mountain ranges.

To begin with, Devi was quite the chatterbox. I think the child adores hearing herself talk. Devon and she kept up a steady stream of conversation until she began yawning and fell asleep. Before long, we found ourselves driving up to an elaborate pack house. Consisting of three stories, the main construct is logs, with river rock accent walls. The front of the house is adorned with floor to ceiling windows on each level.

As we exited the vehicle, Devon retrieved Devi from her carseat and is holding her. Her face still sleep dazed, she cuddled her face to his chest. As pack members began piling out, Devi burrowed in deeper, squinting her eyes closed. "Hey, Devi," Devon cajoled, "don't you want to meet everyone? Here's grandma." He held her in front of his mother, Luna Wright.

"Oh, Devi!" Luna Wright cooed. "You can call me GiGi! I am so happy to meet you. If it's all right with your mother," she gave me a questioning look, "I have some cookies cooling in the kitchen." I nod my consent. "Come on in" She held out her hands as if to take Devi.  Even though she had shown interest at the mention of cookies, she immediately shrank back to Devon. "It's okay," GiGi dropped her hands, "let's take Devi to get some cookies, daddy." She smiles at Devon.

Turning toward the pack house, everyone filed in behind us as we made our way to the kitchen. Devi was the star of the hour and I was slowly swallowed up by the press of wolves following her. By the time I got to the kitchen, Devi was seated at the breakfast bar with a cup of milk and a huge chocolate chip cookie. The gooey goodness was already painting her mouth and dripping down her hand. Smiling, I wondered if Devon would have a Devi sized chocolate handprint on him next.

I made my way to the breakfast bar to join Devon's family and his mother turned to me. "Luna, I am so happy to see you again."

My mouth fell slightly open and I scanned the people around me. Their expectant looks toward me was unnerving. Taking a deep breath, I turned back to Luna Wright and spoke for all to hear. "I think this is probably a good time to get everything out in the open so there are no expectations. Luna Wright, I am not the Luna of any pack, but especially not this one." I continued as kindly as I could. "I am sure there are many wonderful wolves here, but the truth is that I was abandoned by my mate."

Gasps resounded around the room. I again inspected the faces of those gathered. Perhaps they had not been aware of what happened amongst their leaders three years ago. Turning my gaze to Luna Wright once again. "I am here so Devi can get better acquainted with her father, and so she can get to know her father's family and pack; but mostly, I am here to ensure that Devi will be safe here should she visit her father in the future, without me."

"Are you insinuating that my granddaughter would not be safe here?" Former Alpha Wright sputtered.

"Make no mistake as to my intentions. I am not insinuating anything," I state, "I have been blessed with a goddess given gift of precognition by dreams. I have been given a warning from the goddess, that there is a she-wolf who has already harmed my family. The death of my son was a by-product of this she-wolf's lies and this same she-wolf is a threat to Devi's safety." Former Alpha Wright turns gray as if in pain, while Luna Wright and Devon blanch. Do they know something or is it the mention of Devlin?

A deadly silence descends upon the room. Devi begins to chatter. "Daddy? Can I have another cookie?" She smears chocolate as she pats his cheek.  We all begin laughing. As all attention returns to her, she preens as the atmosphere lightens.