Chapter 15: Salty Daniel

Nathan's large oak doors clicked open. He swiftly glanced up from his work to eye his visitor.
"Daniel?" He said with shock in his voice, "When did you fly in?"
He couldn't believe his brother was standing in his office.
Nathan made his way over to his brother, and pulled him into a hug. He missed Daniel greatly. He wished his brother wrote him more, reciprocated his phone calls and replied to his messages but Nathan knew what it was like to be a college student. He knew the pressures and the need to be independent. Smothering his brother was the last thing he ever wanted to do. Daniel slowly pulled away, "I came in last night."

"Why didn't you tell me? I could have picked you up." Nathan questioned.

Daniel averted his gaze and sighed, "I didn't need you to."

Nathan moved over to his office fridge. "Want anything to drink?"

"I'll have a scotch on the rocks."

Nathan rolled his eyes, "Fat chance. How's gingerale?"

Daniel pouted, "Fine."

"So, how's school?" Nathan inquired as he tossed his brother a can of gingerale.

"Good," he replied dryly.

"Are you still modeling?" Nathan cocked an eyebrow. He greatly disapproved of his brother's "career" as a model. It was nothing but a waste of time. Time which he could be using to study.

"Nate, don't start. I know how much you despise my modeling gig but it pays the bills," Daniel's voice was edged with annoyance.

"I pay the bills, Daniel. You're modeling career is just a waste of your precious time. Time you could be using to--"

Daniel rolled his eyes which caused a muscle in Nathan's jaw to twitch.
"You may have the power to force me to spend my youth in that depressing school but how I spend my free time isn't something that I'll allow you to dictate."

"Danny, Oxford is one of the best universities in London. Your future is the only thing that I care for. I'm sorry you feel that way but you'll thank me one day."

Daniel let out a soft chuckle, "Thank you? Yeah, okay. I'll thank you when pigs fly."

"Daniel!" Nathan roared, "I've had enough of your attitude. I haven't seen you in over a year, you won't communicate with me and now when I'm trying to catch up with you all I get are one-worded answers? What happened?"

"You want to know what happened? You sent me away to another freaken country! That's what happened! There are tons of fine universities in New York, but you had to ship me off to bloody Oxford!"

"You place all the blame on me? I gave you an ultimatum. You chose to go to Oxford. You're the one that made the agreement with me. You complete college and graduate with your Masters and I'll cover all expenses from tuition to personal needs."

"Ultimatum? Please Nate, you practically forced me to go. Just face it," he spat, "You sent me away so that you can live your failed dreams through me! Well, you know what, Nate? I'm not some puppet. I'm not your child who has to live through his father's dreams. I'm done."

"Done?" Nate questioned. His voice faltered.

"Yes. Done. I don't plan on letting you run my life anymore. I'm dropping out. That's what I came to tell you. I've been offered a contract with DNA."

Nathan shot out of his seat, "How long do you think you're career will last? Huh? Once you hit 27 they'll be done with you. What will happen then? How will you make a living for yourself? Danny, please, don't do this. I'm sorry. We haven't seen each other in a year. Let's not fight. I know you miss home but you'll see that it's for the best."

Daniel pushed himself off of the wall he was bracing on. "Thank you for the gingerale, Nate. I'll show myself out."

"Don't walk away from me, Danny!" Nathan warned.

"Why? What's going to happen?"
Daniel mocked with a bitterness to his tone.

"How can you act like this? Daniel, after everything I've done for you, for us? I'm your--"

"Your brother, Nate. It's time you started acting like my brother. You're not my father. I don't want another father. I've had enough of male parental figures in my life."

Daniel grabbed the door handle and pulled it open with such force that the door slammed against the wall and closed behind him.

Nathan collapsed into his chair. For the first time in a long time he felt utterly helpless.

********

Daniel hastily walked down the long corridor to the elevator. As he turned the corner in a swift motion his large frame crashed into another. His arms shot out and caught hold of the petite person. Scarlet looked up with a dazed expression. Her face quickly turned red. She composed herself and backed away from him. A small smile formed on his lips. "Why is it that every time I see you I end up having to save you? Unless it's not an accident," he purred softly.

His suggestive words caused Scarlet to roll her eyes but a smile danced on her lips. By now she figured that he was naturally the flirtatious type. "Were you able to see Nathan?"

The mention of Nate's name brought back his sour mood.

"Yes." Daniel replied curtly.

Scarlet furrowed her brows. She had a feeling that things didn't go as well as she thought they would have. Suddenly, she was reminded of Nathan's words from that rainy afternoon. She remember that Nathan claimed his brother once resented him. She didn't want to assume that his brother still held feelings of resentment against him but something deep down told her to trust her instincts.

"Hey," Daniel waved his hand in front of Scarlet's face. "Earth to Scarlet."

She quickly snapped out of her thoughts. "I'm sorry, did you say something?"

Daniel laughed, "Do you always space out? Or is it just me? But I doubt it's me because I'm better looking than half the men in here. So, it must be you."

Scarlet gave him a light shove. "Wow, vain, much?"

Daniel cocked his eyebrow at her. Women always fawned over him. Rarely did they call him out on his behavior. A small smile spread across his lips. This would be a challenge and he enjoyed challenges.

"I asked you if you wanted to have lunch," he explained.

Scarlet looked at the time on her watch. She looked down at all the work she had to do and then down the hall. She sighed because she knew the decision she would make.

"Sure, let me go grab my stuff."
Daniel beamed at her. "Okay, I'll go hold the elevator."

Scarlet walked back to her office and grabbed her purse. She looked at the shutters she had closed earlier on. Walking over she grabbed the remote and opened them. There sat Nathan at his desk. A worried expression was drawn on his face as he stared blankly ahead. Scarlet frowned. She knew things went poorly. For some odd reason she felt the need to help him. She decided that she would because he saved her when she was in need. It was her turn to help him.