Chapter 1: The Start of Something New

The months grew colder as summer changed into fall. Fall naturally is a dreary time, a time which most people don't look forward to, but for Scarlett it meant a big opportunity. After months of working as an intern and interviewing, Scarlett was finally able to get an interview for the head of the Managerial and Finance Department (HMFD) at Thane Corp. With excitement, Scarlett got out of bed and headed towards the bathroom. It was 6:30 in the morning and her interview with Mr. Thane's assistant would be at 8'o clock sharp. After taking a shower Scarlet wrapped her dark auburn hair in a bun. She headed to her wardrobe and pulled out her long sleeved pinstriped blouse. She paired it with a navy blue pencil skirt and peep toe pumps. Before getting dressed Scarlet headed to her kitchen to make breakfast. She had a bagel with cream cheese and coffee. Scarlett rarely drank coffee, she was more of a tea person, but she needed a wakeup call from her late night. She was up late preparing for her interview. After getting dressed Scarlett put on mascara and, tinted her lips apple red since it suited her umber skin tone. As she walked to her dresser Scarlett released her hair and let it tumble down her back in long soft waves. She plugged in her hair straightener and got to work. As she did this, her waves disappeared to reveal silky straight locks. Looking at the clock Scarlett threw on her cropped blazer and ran out the door. After locking her flat she got into her car and drove into the agonizing New York traffic.

Not expecting traffic to be so heavy Scarlett parked her car and ran into Thane Corporations. With only two minutes until her interview Scarlett was frantic. She made a dash towards the elevator screaming, "Hold the door!" Luckily someone was kind enough to do so. Scarlett got into the elevator and reached out to push the button for level 25 but, it was already pushed. She looked at her watch and felt at ease. The marathon she just ran took only a minute and she felt as if she would make it. Ruffling through her bag she pulled out her papers to skim them. Smelling the strong sent of coffee Scarlett looked up. Next to her stood a tall man who towered over her. His dark hair shined brown in the light making his skin tone look golden. He wore a classic black suit that complemented his broad shoulders. Scarlett looked around and saw no one else in the elevator. It finally hit her that he must have been the one to hold the door for her. Looking up again, Scarlett's eyes made contact with the tall man's. His eyes were captivating. They were warm brown with flecks of honey. As she realized she was staring Scarlet opened her mouth to speak. Just then, the elevator doors opened and he walked out. Scarlett frowned as she felt rude for not thanking him.

Waiting in the main lobby, after her interview, Scarlett thought back. She had envisioned Mr. Thane's assistant, K. Grants, to be a man who'd peer at her with ice cold eyes over a pair of glasses. Instead, she was interviewed by a fairly young woman who was forgiving towards her tardy behavior. Kim Grants had maroon eyes, full lips that complemented her perfect teeth, and high cheek bones. She wore her hair up while her bangs hung at the side of her face. Kim wasn't one to waste time, right after they sat down she started drilling Scarlett with questions. At the end Kim smiled warmly towards Scarlett and gave her a reassuring look. She then asked Scarlett to wait outside until further notice.

***

Scarlett was so caught up in her thoughts she didn't hear Kim calling her name. "Ms. Stevens?" Scarlett looked up as a familiar hand touched her shoulder. She saw Kim looking down at her with a knowing smile. "Yes?" Scarlett replied. "Please join me in my office" said Kim as she led Scarlett towards the double doors and into her office. Once inside Kim gestured towards the seat across from her desk. Scarlett sat down as thoughts of rejection crossed her mind. Kim took her seat and scanned the pages of Scarlett's portfolio. Looking up Kim spoke, "Ms. Stevens, I'm elated to tell you that we are very impressed by your résumé. Here at Thane Corp. we are looking for someone who has experience in dealing with customer care and service. We are also looking for someone who has majored in business and has their MBA. You, Ms. Stevens, qualify in both positions. Unfortunately, you aren't the only one. But, what makes you special is that you've had experience working with Thane Corporations. It says you've interned here for 7 months, is that right?" Scarlett opened her mouth and let out a faint "yes". Seeing the shock on Scarlett's face Kim continued, "Well then, congratulations Ms. Stevens! You got the job."