119 Damian Priest

I was just about to go into the pool when I heard my phone ring. So much for a relaxing evening. Annoyed, I grunted and went back into the house to see who was calling me. I could almost have guessed it. It was Rhea.

"Hey nightmare... What's going on?" I asked.

"Hi, sorry to interrupt, but have you heard from Y/N? We were supposed to meet for a workout this afternoon. But she canceled at the last minute and won't answer her phone now," she replied.

I could clearly hear how worried she was. And that was understandable, because Y/N wasn't like that at all. She was the most reliable, disciplined person I knew.

"No, not since I drove her home from the airport yesterday. Who knows... Maybe she's just having a bad day. Even she can have one," I said.

"Yeah, maybe you're right... But... well couldn't you stop by her place to see if everything is really okay? After all, you only live 4 blocks away." Rhea then replied.

"Let me guess. You won't stop bugging me until I do, right?" I asked as I went into the bedroom to change.

"How long have you known me, Damian? You knew the answer before you asked." she said with a laugh.

"All right, all right. I'll head there in a minute. But I'm pretty sure Mitch won't be happy." I replied.

"Oh fuck him. You're one of her best friends and if he hasn't accepted that by now, then he's dumber than he looks." Rhea grumbled.

"Yeah and I'm sure Y/N would love the way you talk about her boyfriend." I laughed.

"I just don't know what she sees in him. He's so different than her. But maybe it's the old 'opposites attract' thing. And as long as he makes her happy, I'll keep my opinion to myself." she said.

*****

The sun was already setting when I parked my car in front of Y/N's house. Luckily Mitch's car was nowhere to be seen. That probably meant he wasn't there. Part of me was relieved. Because to be honest, I wasn't his biggest fan either.

I got out and walked the few steps towards the door. There was no sound from inside. Not even music. That alone was very unusual for her. I rang the bell and waited with my hands in my pockets for the door to open. It took quite a while, but eventually she stuck her head out.

"Hi Feliz! What's going on? Have you been crying?" I asked when I noticed her puffy, red eyes.

"Go away, D. I'm not in the mood for company." she replied in a raspy voice and tried to close the door in my face.

But there was no way I could leave her alone like that. So I prevented her from shutting the door by pushing my foot in between.

"I'm not leaving until you talk to me. You know I'm stubborn, Feliz," I said.

"Stop with the stupid nickname. And if you don't have a bottle of whiskey with you, I don't want to talk." she growled and walked away.

She just left me standing there. Another thing she didn't usually do. If I annoyed her, it was more likely that she would have punched or kicked me.

"Oh hi Pom-Pom! How's my girl? What's wrong with Mommy, huh?" I asked as Y/N's little bundle of fur came running up to me.

She barked excitedly and spun around in circles jumping until I picked her up. The little Shih Tzu licked my nose as I started to go after Y/N.

I followed her onto the patio where I was amazed to see her tearing up photos of herself and Mitch. Then she put everything in a fire pit and lit it. I slowly realized what was going on with her.

"Okay... spit it out. You should get it over with, because I'm not leaving until you did," I said and put the dog back on the ground.

"We broke up. Or I should say he broke up with me. And I didn't see it coming. He didn't even give me a real reason. Just that it wasn't the life he wanted. Before I could ask him any questions, he had already left," she explained quietly, but didn't look at me once.

"Oh Feliz, I'm so sorry. Come here." I replied before pulling her into my arms without hesitation.

Y/N cried on my chest for endless minutes. It was hard to bear to see her like this. She was usually such a happy person. Nothing could spoil her good mood. That's why I had given her the nickname Feliz years ago. Even though she still couldn't really stand it.

Finally, we went back into the house together. Pom-Pom immediately jumped onto the couch and snuggled up between us. Y/N absent-mindedly petted her.

"Three years wasted. Just like that. Poof! Out of the window. That's what you get for falling in love." she grumbled to herself.

"Hey, you shouldn't think like that. Now... Get changed, we're going out! I won't let you wallow in here and mourn after that loser. We'll do something fun. Come on!" I replied.

"No, I don't want to. I'm not in the mood." she whined as I tried to pull her off the couch by her arm.

"All right... I'll let you be for today. But! I won't let you mourn him forever. I'll even get you a new date. Because as luck would have it, I know someone who will be thrilled to hear that you're back on the market," I said as I finally gave up.

"Oh yeah? And who would that be?" she wanted to know.

It looked like I had managed to steer her thoughts in a different direction, at least for a little while.

"Oh, you'll see. But for now, what do you say I get us a bottle of booze after all?" I replied.

Published May 17, 2024