Time and Love

Her breathing was heavy, the tightness in her chest growing with each breath she took. She took a moment to lean against the white awning above the path to Granny's. She closed her eyes and tried to compose herself until she heard hurried footsteps approaching from behind her. She didn't dare turn around, afraid that the sight of either man would break her heart instantly.

"My love, are you alright?" The sound of his gentle, accented voice caused her heart to fall to the pit of her stomach. Robin placed his hand on her shoulder and she released a sigh in response to his tender touch.

Before she could answer him, more hurried footsteps made their way for her and she knew immediately who it was.

"Regina, you have no idea how wonderful it is to see you," Daniel's voice was genuine and naturally soothing. It always calmed her nerves and suppressed her deepest fears. But not even his voice or Robin's touch could wake her from this dream... Or was it a nightmare? She was too overwhelmed to decide.

There was silence among the trio for a brief moment, none of them knowing what to say and if they did, they didn't have the courage to speak up. When he noticed that Regina's breathing had steadied, Robin spoke first, his gaze focused on her while his words were directed at Daniel.

"I would say it is a pleasure to finally meet you, Daniel, but under the circumstances I hardly find that to be appropriate."

"I suppose so," his jaw was tight as he spoke. Clearly this man standing before him, a hand on Regina's shoulder, was more than a friend to her in this world. "May I ask who you are?"

"Robin Locksley."

"And how exactly do you know Regina?"

Robin sighed, realizing how nearly 50 years had passed for him and Regina while barely hours had gone by for the stable boy.

"I know this must be overwhelming for both of you. I just wanted to make sure Regina was alright, but I can give you both a minute--"

"No, Robin. Please stay," Daniel said, his tone left a bitter taste in his mouth that surprised even him.

"Daniel, I have nothing, but respect for you. It is a difficult situation. It's important that we support Regina right now and work through the rest when she's ready," Robin's voice was steady and stern. His words were heartfelt and honorable, they always were. His presence was comforting despite her confusion, but she understood Daniel's disposition.

"I think I deserve some sort of explanation. Just hours ago, I was the love of Regina's life and now I'm faced with the reality that decades have passed and she's courting another man," Daniel remained calm, although his heart was breaking at the sight before him.

"Enough," Regina's voice was surprisingly strong although she felt her legs would give out at any given time.

"Regina, I-" Daniel began, but she lifted her hand to stop him.

"Please. Just stop," she begged as tears finally escaped her chocolate brown eyes.

"Clearly this is a lot to take in right now and we all want explanations that I think we're just not able to cope with at the moment," Robin said.

"I said enough," she repeated, shaking her head. There was no anger in her tone. She sounded more exhausted than anything else. She avoided their eyes as she began walking away from the diner.

"Regina, please-" Daniel stepped forward.

"At least let one of us walk you home," Robin added as he did the same.

Regina turned around and finally met their gaze. Both men had brilliant blue eyes, but were very different. Robin's were a deep blue, almost like the ocean, while Daniel's were a bit lighter, a hint of silver in them. But no matter how different their eyes were in color, they both reflected the same emotions: desperation, worry, heartbreak.

"I know you both have good intentions, but the best thing you could do for me is to just give me some time to figure this out. Alone."

"Of course," Robin said with a nod of his head.

"Take as much time as you need," Daniel added, taking a step back.

Regina nodded in silent gratitude before turning on her heels, making her way down Main Street. Both men stood staring in her direction until she was completely out of sight. Neither one knew where to go or what to do at that point. Robin scratched his beard while Daniel let out a sigh.

"Let me buy you a beer," Robin offered politely.

"Got anything stronger in this realm?" Daniel asked as they made their way back into the diner.