Chapter 19: Green with Envy

Leah didn't know what to expect when she arrived at this secluded area of the region, but being greeted by an elderly woman and her Mawile wasn't on the list. The woman stopped gardening and observed the group of four before turning to Korrina, "I hope you didn't have any more trouble with Lucario?"

"Haha no," Korrina chuckled, "Leah has been having trouble with her Absol. That's why we came to seek you out, Mabel."

Mabel nodded in understanding and turned to Leah and Mildred, "Which one of you is Leah?"

"That would be me." Leah stepped forward, "What do you want me to do?"

"I want you and your Absol to battle me."

Leah shrugged, "Sounds easy enough."

Leah sent out Omen. The Absol released a shrill sound upon being summoned. Mabel's Mawile didn't hesitate to join him in the field. Leah grabbed hold of her keystone, light began to surround her and Omen. Soon the Absol gained more fluff and a more elegant appearance. A singular flap of his wings was enough to intimidate everyone in the vicinity. Mabel did the same and from the lightshow emerged Mega Mawile. It had two jaws on its head now and it looked like it was wearing a dark pink dress. Leah smiled, "I've been taught to respect the elderly, so I'll let you go first."

"I'm not as frail as you think, young lady, but your courtesy is much appreciated. Mawile use Iron Head."

"Omen jump and use Night Slash!"

Omen leapt sideways, narrowly avoiding the Iron Head. His claws glowed a light purple hue as he slashed Mawile's back. Mabel smiled and asked Mawile to use Fairy Wind. Fairy Wind is a super effective move, but Leah wasn't a one trick Ponyta, "Omen use Night Slash to climb the winds!"

With a bark of affirmation, Omen's claws once again turned a light purple hue as he began to scale the winds. On Leah's command he let out a shrill screech, releasing multiple purple rings of energy at Mawile. Mabel nodded in approval and Leah smiled in response, but the moment Omen landed something was wrong. He started snarling and growling, his fangs were bared. Leah had to put a stop to this, "Omen, seriously, calm down!"

Just like clockwork, Omen sluggishly turned to face the Vulpix that Leah held in her arms. He had no intentions of attacking his trainer, he only wanted Mrs. Cuddletails. The Vulpix's fur bristled, ready to fight back should Omen try anything. He had that same glare of unfiltered envy that he had directed towards Mrs. Cuddletails. His eyes were only on the Vulpix, nothing around him mattered at the moment. It only took a single Iron Head and Fairy Wind from Mawile to knock him out. Mabel approached them, "This has happened before, yes?"

Leah nodded, "He was looking at Mrs. Cuddletails with the same look in his eyes, but last time, he attacked me."

"The fact that he attacked you last time and you're still willing to try again shows you trust your partners greatly." Mabel stated before sternly adding, "He's letting his envy towards Vulpix take control of him."

"So that's it? I just gotta not let him be controlled by his envy?"

"Hold your Rapidash, I still want to evaluate the friendship you have with your Pokémon." Mabel stated, she then pointed to a particular part of the horizon, "Today you'll be scaling that mountain to pick some flowers."

Leah felt her blood run cold, "How uh high do we have to climb exactly?"

Mabel looked at Leah with a glint of confusion in her eyes, "What's the issue? I thought Absol was a Pokémon very proficient in scaling mountains."

"You're not terrified of heights, are you, Leah?" Mildred quipped.

"Oh fuck you, Mildred." Leah stomped towards the mountain with Omen and Mrs. Cuddletails following her.