12. Dhruv

The notification buzzed on my phone, a harsh reminder of Tara's sharp reply. Staring at the screen, the weight of my actions pressed down on me. Reaching out again felt intrusive after her clear message. Forcing myself away from my phone, I slammed my laptop shut.

The unfinished work mocked me. Clearly, this needed a new approach. A text wouldn't cut it. I needed to face Tara and apologise genuinely, but how?

Later that evening, the familiar scent of home greeted me as I walked in. "Maa," I called out, the warmth of the house settling around me.

She's in the kitchen. As much as I adore her, I could never tell her how bad her food was growing up. My father would have killed me if I had said something that upset her. She improved over time, but not to the level of perfection. That's what I adore about her. She's constantly striving to be better and never gives up.

Her smile widened at the sight of me. "Dhruv! You're home early. Come, let me fix you a plate."

Settling at the table, I watched her move with practiced ease. The tension that had coiled in my gut all day began to loosen. "Everything alright at work, beta?" she asked, placing a steaming plate of rice and vegetables in front of me.

"Yes, ma, work is fine. Tell me something." I said, and she looked at me with curiosity. She is such a sweetheart. I smiled and said, "How did you know dad was the right person?"

She laughed; it'll always be my favourite sound. "I didn't."

I didn't expect her to answer like that. I expected her to say something cliche. She must have seen the look on my face.

"I was 19 beta; he was 24. I always thought he wanted the dowry money. It was his family's condition that he could start his business with the money from the marriage. They never approved of his business. When his alliance came, my mom took me aside and told me that business was booming those days and that he'll keep me well, and I just trusted her word."

"So what happened when you married?"

"We didn't talk at all. He was quite shy. He was never home. I didn't see him for the first two days after our marriage. The house was really lonely. I cried. I thought I made a huge mistake. I didn't know how to cook properly, and I had been starving for two days. I ate the fruits the first day, and the next day nothing. He noticed later and cooked for me the next day. I was surprised to see breakfast on the table the next day. The first thing he asked was, 'Was the food nice?' I said it was. It became our routine. Around that time, the house you were born in was being built, and he included me in the construction process. I remember really liking it, and he offered me an opportunity to explore architecture and interior design, which I accepted. Later, for a few months, all we spoke about was business. I didn't know what love was. I didn't know anything other than that I enjoyed spending more and more time with your father. I used to look forward to him coming home every evening so we could talk about my college and his office."

She grinned at me and said, "Love, I realised later, was not a sudden spark. It was a slow burn, based on shared experiences, quiet understanding, and a desire to grow together."

"You miss him, don't you?" I asked her..

She smiled again and said, "I don't. I always see his shadow in you. He raised you to be him exactly. I can't be sitting here and mourning when I have a son worth celebrating."

She rose from her seat and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"Whomever it is, you asked those questions for, treat her right." She whispered and then walked towards her room.

I just stared at the door in shock. I couldn't help but smile.

She truly is my mother.

---