Deception

Ring ring

“Hello? Oh! Hi Cara, yes I'm doing fine…No yeah Linda’s Rescue already picked up Sweetie already… Yes I know, she's going to have such a wonderful time in New York… Oh? Aww poor thing… Of course I can, I'm always here to help these poor creatures… Yes, today is fine… okay, I’ll be there to pick him up… alright bye, see you soon.”

••°•°•°•°••

“Alright Buddy, here's your new foster home!” I smiled and looked down to my right to a scruffy terrier mix, he had made himself scarce, hiding under the passenger seat. He was shivering and had not moved since I put him there.

Poor thing must be terrified

“Hey it's okay baby” I said as softly as I could. I reached over to try and pick him up. My fingers had barely touched his fur when he suddenly yelped and nipped my finger.

“Oh! Okay, okay sorry baby. It's going to be okay.” I cooed. I can't blame him for being scared. I moved to the car door and stepped out of my car.

Before closing the door I turned back to the poor thing, “Hey, don't worry baby, you'll like it here okay. The sweetest person will be taking care of you, alright?”

I know he won't understand me, but I do hope he'll warm up. Jackie has always been great with dogs, maybe she'll be able to bring him out of his shell.

I walked around my car, which was parked in front of a simple suburban house. It had rose bushes lining the pathway to the house and a little dog knocker at the door. Before I could use it, someone opened the door up.

“Caroline! Oh my goodness, thank you so much for bringing him. I'm so sorry for not coming to pick him up, Cici just wouldn't cooperate with me.” She said exasperatedly.

“No worries, I had to pass by the store anyway, so it worked out. Is Cici doing better though?”

Her eyes lit up immediately, “Yeah! She's over in her little hammock now that she can relax without her wheels, she is such a pampered kitty” she rolled her eyes and giggled to herself.

Linda had always found a way to be all sunshine and rainbows. We both started getting involved in the rescue and foster community after finding a kitten with hip dysplasia in a dumpster behind our apartment complex. It was a terrifying discovery for both of us, we were new to taking care of a pet, much less one with a medical condition. But in the end, when we saw how much Cici had grown, we wanted to give other animals in need the same chance at a better life.

Which brings us to the new foster.

“So, where is he? I hope everything went well on the way over here.” She tilted her head just a bit to look towards the car. Not that she could see the dog from over here at her doorstep.

“He was very well behaved, mostly due to him being so scared.” I said, I led her towards the window to the passenger seat of my car. He was still rolled up in a ball on the floorboard.

Linda peered inside the window, “Aww, he's just a little baby.” She moved back and turned to me.

“He doesn't seem injured like you said, just scared.”

“Yeah, he's hiding it pretty well. His neck is all scratched up and matted, he doesn't let me touch him at all, the poor thing.” I looked down on him with pity and felt sadness welling up inside me.

Linda contemplated for a bit, “I'll go get the crate and some blankets, let's see if he'll move. We really need to transport him to a vet.”

I nodded my head in agreement, Linda moved to get inside her house, likely to get the cage and a blanket.

I just hope this puppy gets better.

°•°•°

Thank you for reading, I know this isn't something that people would usually read on this site 😅