One

"No more going outside. It's too dangerous," my mom said.

"But mom, we live out in the middle of nowhere. No zombie is going to come here. Why can't I go outside?"

"Listen to you mother, Ruby. It's too dangerous to go outside. You're not going anymore unless you have one of us beside you. And that's final. Now go upstairs and get our guns and knives. We have to show you what to do." They spent the next hour and a half teaching me how to use a gun and where to shoot the zombie, and where to stab it and not get blood in my system.

Scientists have already let out that if you get zombie blood in your system, there is a 7 in 10 chance you will turn. Also, if you get bitten, you have to cut off that part of your body where you got bit or the zombie's DNA will spread through your system and you will turn shortly.

I didn't like this. How did it even happen? Bad burger? Oh well. The point is, everyone had to learn how to survive. Even though we live out far in the country, there is still a chance that they will populate here. How were we even going to get food? We probably couldn't go into town and go to the market anymore.

Lucky for us, my dad was a huge Walking Dead nerd and so he actually believed in the zombie apocalypse, so he already has food packed and guns and amo and all that good stuff.

But they don't get it. We'll be fine. There aren't any zombies coming here in the middle of nowhere. Why can't they understand that??

"Wake up Ruby. Get your brother up." My mom whispered.

"Ugh... whyyy. I'm tired mom," I sat up. She patted my leg and walked out. That meant she wasn't waiting any longer. I got up out of bed feeling like a zom- ... never mind. I walked into my brother's room. And as I was about to wake him up, I looked at his clock. 4:26 a.m. Seriously??

"Jeffy, wake up." I shook and I shook but he wouldn't even move. "Jeffrey Peirce Anderson, wake yo stinky butt up." He groaned and said a little angry, "Ruby! Leave me alone! I'm trying to sleep!"

"I was too but mom woke me up and told me to wake you. So get up," I said, hitting his leg. Not hard but good enough to get my point across.

He flipped his covers off of his head and put one foot on the carpet floor while his body sprawled out on the bed and struggled not to fall off. I walked out and went downstairs.

"Ahem. Why did you insist on waking me up at," I checked the clock on the wall, "4:30 in the morning?" My parents just stared at me like I wasn't making any sense.

I almost face-palmed when I remembered that I didn't put my glasses on.

I ran upstairs and out on my glasses. I looked at the clock. 7:32 a.m. How could I mistake 7 for 4?

I ran back downstairs to see my whole family sitting on the couch. I took the spot next to my mother. About two minutes went by. I was the first to break the silence.

"So, why are we just sitting here? I mean, shouldn't we be getting food or whatever we are suppose to do?" My dad looked at me like I just insulted the pope. I pinched my eyebrows together and said, "Can we at least play a game or do something? I understand that there are-" my mom cut me off by putting her hand over my mouth.

"You're right. Help me cook some breakfast in the kitchen." She held my arm as I walked with her to the kitchen. She turned to me and whispered, "Jeffrey doesn't know about the zombie's yet. We have to avoid it for a while. He cannot know about it yet. You're 13 and he's 8. He won't be able to handle it yet." I nodded and got four eggs out of the fridge.

"Jeffrey, how you want your egg?"