Chapter 10

(Leo's POV)

Madi kept playing with her bandages. Without thinking I put my hands on hers to keep her from taking them off.

"Let's get out of this wind." Jason suggested.

"Down a drain?" Piper asked, skeptical.

"That sounds cozy," Madi smirked. I agreed. We headed towards the fountain. According to a plaque, this place was called Crown Fountain. All the water had been emptied except for a few patches here and there that were beginning to freeze over. Nothing in this place felt right. Madi gripped my hand tightly and I gripped hers. Jason went first down into the sewer. Piper, Madi and I followed.

"Leo, do all sewers smell this nice?" Piper asked.

"No." I answered, "They in fact, do not."

Jason frowned, "How do you know–"

"Hey man, I ran away six times. I've slept in some weird places, okay? Now which way do we go?"

Jason tilted his head and pointed south, "That way,"

"How are you sure?" Madi asked, looking around. I figured she was nervous, she is claustrophobic after all.

"There's a draft blowing south," Jason explained, "Maybe the venti went with the flow." It wasn't much of a lead, but nobody offered anything better. Unfortunately, as soon as they started walking, Piper stumbled and Jason caught her. Madi crumpled to the ground clutching her side as well. I caught her.

"Monkey Feathers!" Madi cursed as she fell.

"Stupid ankle," Piper added.

"Let's all rest. We could use it." Jason decided, "We've been going non-stop for over a day. Leo, can you pull any food other than breath mints from your tool belt?"

"Thought you'd never ask!" Jason and Piper sat on a brick ledge as Madi and I got a fire going and prepared some food.

"Piper," Madi sat by her friend, "What's wrong?"

"Yeah, back in the factory you were gonna say something about your dad." Jason mentioned.

Piper ran her fingers along the bricks, "Was I?"

"Piper Mclean, you tell us what's going on, or I swear, I am going to make you tell us!" Madi said, a stern look on her face. If it wasn't for her, and the spells she could put me under, I would not be on this quest. I wasn't listening at that point, I was either looking at Madi or cooking the tacos or both.

"Done!" I said, handing Piper her vegetarian taco and the others their tacos.

"Leo, Madi, how did you-" Piper began but I smirked.

"Chef Leo and Madi's Taco Garage is fixing you up!"

Madi added, "And that's tofu by the way, not beef Beauty Queen." We all dug into our own tacos, they were really good. I mean of course they were, I made them. (with Madi's help of course). Jason and I were able to convince the girls to sleep. I draped my coat over Madi's shoulders for warmth.

"How long?" Jason asked me.

"What?"

"How long have you liked her?"

I scowled, "Jason, I never liked her." his eyes widened.

"WHAT!?"

"SH!"

"What do you mean you've never liked her?"

"I never liked her because," I looked up at him, "I've always loved her."

"Oh." He made eye contact and his facial expression hardened, "If you ever break her heart I swear to the gods Leo-"

"I would never ever break her heart, Jason. She's been through too much already." I said just as serious. In an attempt to lighten the mood Jason added:

"You should start a stand. Make some serious coin." I smiled and let out a light chuckle but it fell as Jason continued, "Leo . . . this fire stuff you can do. . . is it true?"

"Yeah, well. . ." I opened my hand and let a flame burst to life.

"That is so cool." Jason said, "Why didn't you say anything?"

I closed my hand so the flame went out, "DIdn't want to look like a freak."

"Dude, I have lightning and wind powers," he reminded me, "Piper can turn beautiful and charm people into giving her BMWs, Madi can talk to freakin' horses, so you're no more of a freak than we are. And, hey, maybe you can fly, too. Like jump off a building and yell 'Flame on!' "

I snorted, "If I did that you'd see a flaming kid falling to his death, and I would be yelling something a little bit stronger than 'Flame on!' Trust me, Hephaestus cabin doesn't see fire powers as cool. Nyssa told me they're super rare. When a demigod like me shows up with them, bad things happen. Really bad."

"Are you seriously gonna listen to them amour?" Madi said. I jumped, a bit startled.

"H-how much did you hear?" I asked, she looked up, red cheeks, shining sea green eyes.

"All of it."

(Aphrodite's POV:)

She calmly sipped her tea.

"At last. It has happened."

(Leo's POV again because Aphrodite has finally sipped her tea)

"Leo, maybe Madi's right. Maybe it's the other way around." Jason suggested, "Maybe people with special gifts show up when bad things are happening because that's when they're needed most."

"Maybe, but I'm tellin' you. It's not always a gift." I said, lowering my head.

"You're talking about the night your mom died, with my adopted mother." Madi said quietly.

"Wait adop-" Jason began but Madi whispered "not now".

"Leo, their deaths weren't your fault. Whatever happened that night– wasn't because you could summon fire. This Dirt Woman has been trying to mess you up for years." Jason said, "Mess up your confidence, take away everything you care about. She's trying to make you feel like a failure. You're not. You're important."

"That's what she said." I looked up at the two demigods, "She said I was meant to do something important– something that would make or break the prophecy of eight. That scares me. I don't know if I'm up to it."

"Leo, I'm not going to tell you everything will be okay." Madi said looking at me, "I don't want to lie to you like that. But I am telling you that no matter what happens, I will always always always love you too." I blushed heavily, I barely heard Jason's chuckle.

"Finally," he muttered. Madi and I glared at him.

"You ever wonder about the other four demigods?" Madi asked quietly whilst staring at the flames, "I mean. . .if we're four of the ones in the Great Prophecy, who are the others?"

"I don't know." Jason said, "I guess the other four will reveal themselves when the time is right. Who knows? They could be on a quest right now."

"I bet their sewer is nicer than ours." I grumbled. Madi giggled and laid her head in my lap, falling asleep once again.

"Get some rest Leo," Jason said, "I'll take the first watch."

-----
A/N: HOLY HEPHAESTUS! IM BACK IN IT!!!! AAAAH!!!!!!!!! I LOVED THE SUPPORT IT KEPT ME MOVING THROUGH THIS FANFICTION! MORE PARTS COMING SOON