#9

« Jack : Why did they arrest her?
Monty : You need to know the whole story before you get mad at Mae.
Jack : I'm listening.
Monty : Come with me. »

Monty led Jack to his office and explained to him what had happened.

« Jack : Mae brought that woman here?
Monty : Yeah. They're accusing her of having hidden CJ Miller but also complicity in the murder of Tyler Merton.
Jack : Who's he?
Monty : He was Mae's colleague and an active member of Mitchell's organization. With the MO we were given, I was able to tie him to the rape and murder of 173 women in the past 15 years. The last one was in July 2017.
Jack : Who gave you that MO?
Monty : CJ Miller told Barnes about it. She admitted killing him on Monday though she can't say where the body is because she's not the one who hid it.
Jack : Barnes is behind this?
Monty : Yes.
Jack : We need to get Mae out of there.
Monty : That, I agree.
Jack : What else do you have?
Monty : Should I really tell you about all this since you're a civilian now?
Jack : Monty, you're the one who called me, remember?
Monty : I know but am I gonna get in trouble for telling you?
Jack : You're about to get trouble with me if you don't tell me everything you know.
Monty : Yes, sir. »

Monty started telling Jack about Oliver and what I told Barnes which was basically everything that happened in the past week. I didn't want to hide anything from them, I needed to be honest but the only thing I didn't talk about was the reason why I killed Tyler. I didn't want them to know what he did to Mae. As Monty was finishing to talk, his phone rang.

« Monty : Matt and Clara are here.
Jack : Alright, let's go. »

Jack went out of Monty's office, towards the elevator and Monty was following him. Matthew Simmons was a handsome and tall Korean man who was pushing too hard at the gym. He was wearing a white t-shirt and black jeans with a light brown jacket. Clara Seger was as tall as Jack Garrett and she had shoulder length brown hair. She was wearing a beige blouse and dark blue jeans with a blazer the same color. They were both in their late 30s.

« Clara : Jack, you're here too? What's going on?
Jack : Monty?
Monty : Uh, to make it short, Mae was arrested an hour ago after bringing the Phoenix into custody.
Clara : What?!
Matt : Are we sure it's really the Phoenix?
Monty : Barnes is still doubtful, I'm not.
Matt : Barnes? What does she have to do with this?
Jack : After the IRT was shut down, she was named as the active lead on Mitchell's case. »

Clara rolled her eyes.

« Matt : Why? I mean what did she do that was helpful for this case?
Jack : Nothing. She only ever wanted power and to get us away from it.
Clara : Looks like fate brought us back in the game.
Matt : Where's Mae?
Jack : That's what we need to find out.
Clara : Maybe Emily can help?
Jack : Alright, you try that. Simmons, you're coming with us. »

Matt nodded and Clara pressed the button of the elevator.

Barnes came back in the room I was in. I had no idea what else she wanted from me.

« CJ : Something you forgot to ask?
Barnes : When did you tell Mae Jarvis about your true identity?
CJ : Why?
Barnes : Just answer the question.
CJ : Is it gonna get her in trouble?
Barnes : She's already in trouble. She hid you from the authorities, knowing who you were and even after learning you killed a man. Now we just need to know for how long so answer the question.
CJ : No.
Barnes : You are not in position to refuse answering questions.
CJ : You're wrong, it's my right.
Barnes : Just know that if you refuse to answer this question, you turn your back on any deal you could get with the FBI. Which means no matter what happens when I step out of this room without my answer, you're going down for good and you will never see Mae again.
CJ : ... Alright. I told her the truth on October 24th, last Sunday.
Barnes : So, it's been 5 days. Thank you.
CJ : But she wasn't in condition to come talk to you. She was stabbed on Saturday, Tyler Merton stabbed her.
Barnes : Excuse me?
CJ : You can check her abdomen, I had to stitch her up.
Barnes : Why didn't you say that earlier?
CJ : I didn't think it was useful and for the record, she wasn't hiding me. I said from the beginning I wanted to surrender in order to help the FBI catch Randy Mitchell. »