#3

Mae wasn't in condition to do the autopsy on her own. She forced herself to walk to me and I could see she was hurting.

« CJ : If you need me to do something, just name it. »

She looked at me and took a deep breath before telling me what to do. The next second, I was opening the chest of the dead man listening to Mae giving me instructions. A few hours later, we switched to the woman. At the end of the day, both autopsies were done, and Mae was feeling a little better, at least she could walk normally. I didn't know if it was because she was getting used to the pain or because the pain had, somehow, faded, a little bit.

As we were both getting ready to go, I waited for Mae to go to the bathroom, check on her wound, to take her car keys. I don't know why but I wanted to make sure she was getting home safely. She came back and started gathering her things, looking bothered by the pain.

« CJ : Mae... Come on, I can see you're in pain. I don't think you should drive like this. Let me take you home, okay?
Mae : No, I'm fine. You already did a lot. I can take care of myself. »

Mae turned around and looked for her keys but...

« CJ : Looking for these? »

Mae sighed as she saw me playing with her keys.

« CJ : So, it wasn't an option. I'm taking you home. You've been through enough, today. Let me help you.
Mae : You already helped me, okay? You saved my life, isn't that enough? »

I paused for a few seconds before answering.

« CJ : Why don't you wanna accept my help?
Mae : It's not- that but- ... you've already done a lot, okay? I'm fine, I can go home alone! I don't need you! »

Her words hurt me like a sharp piece of glass. I swallowed my saliva, put on my serious face and handed her, her keys. I could see on Mae's face that she had realize what she had say to me and that she was sorry. She looked at her keys then back to me, hesitating to take them. I was mad at her, and I wasn't hiding it. So, without saying a word, I rapidly grabbed her wrist and pulled it up to force her keys into her hand. My move made her anxiety rise and I heard her breathing fasting, but I didn't really care. I left her alone in the room without saying anything, just hoping she would get home in one piece.

The next day, Sunday, Tyler and I had a little conversation but that conversation didn't end well. I finally figured out who he was and why he was acting like that. Ty, as I knew him before, came from the same world as me.

I may have forgot to talk about my past so let's just say I wasn't lucky in life. I was an ex-criminal running from the most wanted international threat. If you listen to the police, they'll say the same about me but I'm only what he made me. Randy Mitchell. Father. He wanted me to call him like that. Every kids he kidnapped call him that and Tyler was one of them, too. Randy Mitchell was indeed the most dangerous man on Earth. Nobody knows what he looks like except for the people who works for him. I used to work for him but I ran away. If only I knew I was stepping right into the devil's house when I took this job.

I had left Tyler in bad shape but I was in bad shape, too. The only person I know who could help me wouldn't, probably, want to see me, right now but I went to her anyway. I had seen her address on a paper she had left on her desk at the office and somehow, I knew she wasn't gonna like it.

When I arrived in front of Mae's apartment building, a black SUV was parked and a black man wearing a 3 piece costume was taking a big bag out of it. Mae came out of the building, a minute later. They knew each other.

CJ: "Who the hell is this guy?"

I rolled a bit down my window so I could hear them talk.

« Mae : Again, Monty, you didn't have to come here. I could have pick her up.
Monty : No. No, no. I'm the one who's making you babysit on a day when you're not suppose to have her.
Mae : You know, it's not babysitting if she's my daughter. »