23: social cues

[episode 1

[episode 1.3]

September 11, 2009

FOR SOME REASON, Damon decided to perch on the armrest of my chair while we ate dessert in the living room, despite having the couch completely open to him.

He did it on purpose obviously, and I loathed that realization.

I pushed around the dessert they brought on my plate. Even if my claim that I was sick was a lie, I was definitely not feeling well now.

Seeming to sense my miserable mood, Damon shifted and turned toward me.

"So, Margot"—Damon nudged my arm with his elbow—"I hear you have quite the reputation in this town."

"What?" Elena asked, clearly having been left out of the rumors about me.

"Everyone says you're crazy." Damon grinned so widely to the point it looked cruel. "Is it true that you think vampires are real, and that you've slept with a ghost?"

"Damon," Stefan cut in with a warning tone.

I tensed and shook my head. "None of those things are true."

I glanced up and noticed how all of them were looking at me closely. Each for their own reasons likely, but I squirmed under their scrutiny nonetheless.

"You know they say there's always some kernel of truth to a lie," Damon teased. He leaned closer to me, but I scooted away before he could get close.

"My parents died, and people didn't like the way I shut off from the world while grieving," I said. "In a town like Mystic Falls, there's a right and a wrong way to do everything, and they didn't like the way I grieved."

Elena gave me a sad look. Bonnie looked surprised by what I was saying—probably from how different it was from what I'd said only days prior. Caroline didn't so much as blink. And Stefan's stare remained unchanging.

"So you're saying they made it all up?"

"The kernel of truth—" I said, using his own words, "—is that I did disappear, and they came up with their own reasons why I hid away longer than my siblings."

Stefan watched me, chewing slowly.

Bonnie chimed in. "You two will quickly learn that no one in Mystic Falls really cares to get to know you. They make up their mind about you, and that's it."