Prologue

Jisoo

It was nearly dusk, but the chilly air already started to embrace me. I closed my eyes as I felt the breeze swirling around me, and I tried to discern the calmness and familiarity this place is giving me.

Jeju, the place I'll never ever get tired of. For almost seven years, Jeju was my home.

The emerald - colored water of Hyeopjae Beach was always a sight to behold, and the tangerine like sky kissing the seamless water was always mesmerizing to watch. For the past weekends, this was my home. This was where Haein and I spend the rest of our week as he tried to comfort me, at all means.

My pregnancy was never an easy one. Or rather it became much difficult because he was away from me and our baby for most of the days. For some reasons, this little dino was already behaving like a brat, throwing her tantrums by giving me unexplainable morning sickness, and it would disappear as if I was just making an act whenever Haein is around. Clingy baby, right? Yeah, that's how I was whenever Haein's in Seoul.

Maybe it's psychological. I really don't know. So hard for me to explain why my body is reacting this way.

I was always an independent one. I was always self-reliant. But our baby made me crave to my future husband like I wanted to see him, smell him, be with him every single minute and as much as my old self loathe that idea because that made our situation more complicated, I couldn't just help it. I just can't.

Haein was the receiving end of all my frustrations, I would call him any hour of the day just to cry, vent out, demand for anything, and he would dutifully comply to all my wishes. I've never heard him complain, get mad nor annoyed, he was always understanding, and it felt like he's gonna move heaven and earth in Jeju just to do anything I asked.

This whole long distance setup ain't gonna work for us, and with his recent promotion and all the sacrifices he's making, I knew it's me who needed to make that drastic decision.

Sadly, I had to leave Jeju. I had to leave the home I've been with for the past seven years, the place where I started to live my dream as a police officer. It was hard. But it was for the better. Haein refused at first, knowing how valuable this is for me, but the family we were trying to build is my top priority. Deep down, the real dream is to join SMPA too.

Not now, but probably soon.

We'll never know.

"Are you hungry?" His loving voice emerged at my back, bringing me back to the reality, his lips pursed tightly at my temple, giving me a soft kiss. He coiled his arm around my body, giving me a warm hug. My daily dose of therapy.

My home.

"You knew I'm always hungry." I replied, pouting my lips as I looked up to him, and he placed a chaste kiss on my lip. My stomach growled, giving affirmation with what I just said. We both laughed, giving each other teasing looks.

"This is our last night here. I just have to ask you one last time if you are already sure about leaving JDPS and moving to Seoul."

I nodded eagerly, though my eyes would probably be showing a glint of sadness in it.

"I can arrange--

I placed my index finger just above his lip to hush him. "I'm sad, yes. But I'm sure this is what I want. Plus I will not stop working. After giving birth, if the agencies permit, I'll be transferred from Jeju to SMPA. I wanted this Haein, and that's final."

I felt him giving me a tighter hug, for him it was me doing the sacrifice for him. I had to tell him countless times, it's for our family. It's for baby dino. It is for myself.