CHAPTER 16

-----------------T I M E_S K I P----------

NO ONES POV

Months later, the world had become a nightmare landscape where the virus continued to mutate, infecting not just humans but beasts as well. The few remaining non-infected beings were spirits and demons, hovering at the edges of a reality that had been twisted beyond recognition. The safe house where Pierre, Sarah, and their new companions had taken refuge stood as a small bastion of hope amidst the chaos.

The once vibrant city now lay in ruins, overrun by mutated creatures that roamed the streets, their howls echoing through the decaying buildings. The air was thick with the stench of death, and a pervasive sense of dread hung over the land. The skies, once blue, were now perpetually overcast, casting a Gray pall over the desolate landscape. Inside the safe house, the group had established a semblance of routine. They trained daily, honing their skills and preparing for the battles that loomed on the horizon. Supplies were scarce, and every excursion into the city was fraught with danger. Yet, they persevered, driven by a shared determination to survive and protect each other.

Pierre had changed over the months. His once vibrant red hair had turned a stark white, a constant reminder of the trials he had endured. Though his body had regained some of its strength, he bore the scars of his captivity, both physical and emotional. Sarah stayed close, her presence a comforting anchor as they navigated this new world. Kraken, the Maine Coon beast, had become a loyal guardian, his keen senses alerting them to danger long before it arrived. The Thantor cat, with its glowing yellow dots, had also taken a protective stance, often seen patrolling the perimeter of their refuge.

The teenager, now known as Kai, had proven to be a valuable member of the group, his youthful energy and optimism providing a much-needed boost to their morale. The others – the tall man with charcoaled skin and green eyes named Aric, the Asian woman with a scar named Mei, and the blonde man with charcoal eyes named Finn – each brought their own strengths to the group, forming a tight-knit unit that functioned like a well-oiled machine. As dusk fell over the city one evening, the group gathered in the living room of the safe house. The flickering candlelight cast long shadows on the walls, and the air was heavy with unspoken fears. They knew that the virus was spreading at an alarming rate, and it was only a matter of time before their sanctuary would be compromised.

"We need to make a decision," Aric said, his deep voice breaking the silence. "Staying here is becoming more dangerous with each passing day. We need a plan to move forward." Finn nodded in agreement. "We can't stay hidden forever. We need to find a way to stop this virus, or at least find a safer place." Mei, her scarred face resolute, added, "There's talk of a possible cure in the northern territories. It's a long shot, but it might be our only hope."

Sarah glanced at Pierre, her eyes filled with concern. "What do you think, Pierre?" Pierre took a deep breath, the weight of leadership settling on his shoulders. "We can't afford to stay put. If there's even a chance of a cure, we have to take it. We'll gather supplies and head north at first light."

The decision made, the group dispersed to prepare for the journey ahead. As Pierre stood at the window, staring out at the darkened city, he felt a mixture of fear and determination. The road ahead would be perilous, but with Sarah, Kraken, and their new friends by his side, he knew they had a fighting chance.

As the group began their preparations, the atmosphere was tense. Each member was lost in their thoughts, packing supplies and readying weapons for the arduous journey north. Pierre was especially quiet, his mind occupied with the recent events and the uncertainty of their future. One evening, as the group gathered for a final briefing, Kraken, the Maine Coon beast, started acting strangely. He was usually a calm and protective presence, but now he was pacing restlessly, his fur bristling and eyes wild.

"What's wrong with Kraken?" Kai asked, concern etched on his young face. "I don't know," Pierre replied, worry gnawing at him. "He's never acted like this before."

Kraken let out a low growl, his body trembling. Without warning, he lunged at Pierre, knocking him to the ground. Pierre struggled, trying to push the beast off, but Kraken's strength was overwhelming. "Kraken, no!" Sarah shouted, rushing forward with her gun drawn.

Kraken's eyes, once filled with intelligence and loyalty, were now clouded with a feral madness. He snapped at Pierre, his teeth grazing Pierre's arm, drawing blood. Pierre cried out in pain, trying desperately to fend off the infected beast. "Get off him!" Sarah screamed, taking aim. She hesitated for a split second, her heart breaking at the thought of hurting their once-loyal companion. But seeing Pierre's life in danger, she pulled the trigger.

The shot rang out, echoing through the safe house. Kraken yelped and fell to the side, his body convulsing. Pierre scrambled to his feet, clutching his bleeding arm.

"Pierre, are you okay?" Sarah asked, rushing to his side. Pierre nodded, his face pale and strained. "I'm fine, but Kraken... what happened to him?" Aric, Mei, Finn, and Kai joined them, their faces grim. Aric examined Kraken, who lay still, his eyes now lifeless. "He was infected," Aric said, his voice heavy with sorrow. "It must have been the virus. It affects animals too."

Tears welled up in Sarah's eyes as she knelt beside Kraken. "I'm so sorry," she whispered, gently stroking his fur. "We need to be more cautious," Finn said, his voice tense. "If the virus can infect animals, we need to be prepared for anything." Pierre winced as Mei bandaged his arm. "We need to move quickly. If Kraken got infected, there could be more threats out there."

The group gathered their gear, their resolve hardened by the loss of their beloved companion. They knew the journey ahead would be perilous, but they had no choice but to continue. The hope of finding a cure was the only thing keeping them going. As they left the safe house behind, Pierre glanced back one last time. The memory of Kraken, their loyal guardian, would stay with him forever. But now, he had to focus on the living, on protecting Sarah and their new companions. Together, they would face whatever horrors lay ahead, driven by the hope that somewhere in the northern territories, a cure awaited.

AUTHOR NOTE

ik ik ik. its been so long since I uploaded a chapter. BUT I PROMISE YOU ALL READERS I WILL UPLOAD MORE CHAPTERS!. Let me know what you think of the book so far in comments<3

|Words: 1139|