Chapter 41

Bucky's pov
  After Anastasia comes back out, we wait for another hour, before Bruce and Cho this time both come out. I stand up and great them.

  "So? How did it go? Is she ok?" I ask.

  Both Bruce and Cho exchange a look and Bruce lets out a sigh.

  "She should be ok. She was announced dead three times. Buck, three times is a lot, and normally not a good sign," Bruce says.

  "When will she wake up?" I ask.

  "We don't know. She could wake up in three hours, a few days, maybe even a week. We don't know. We have to keep her in the ICU for the night, then we will bring her to one of the rooms, that's when you can see her," Cho explains.

  I nod my head and look over to Anastasia who is fast asleep. I look down to my watch and see that it's 10:38 pm. Poor girl.

  "Ok, let me know it she wakes up. I'm going to go get this one to bed," I say, refuting to Ana.

  "You do know that Tony is going to do all kinds of checks on her right?" Bruce asks.

  "Yeah, but he won't find anything. Plus, he knows that if he does something that Joan doesn't like, he's gonna wish that she died."

  "That's true. Get some rest Barnes, we'll let you know first thing tomorrow," Bruce says.

  He was a good man, he really was. I nod and gently pick up Anastasia's and make my way back to my room.

  Once we're in my room, I set Anastasia's down on the bed and pull the covers up to her face. I sit at the end of the bed, watching every entrance. I can't stop thinking about Joan. Every memory racing through my head. This was all my fault.

Joans pov
  My body feels like it's on fire. I don't think I have ever been in this much pain. I felt something heavy on my left leg, but I couldn't open my eyes. It felt like their demented shut.

  Nonetheless, I force them open. They adjust to the light, fluttering their way open. I let out a groan, the light is not helping my head and my eyes feel earitated. I look down to my lap and see Anastasia resting peacefully.

  "Joan?" I hear a voice to the right of me.

  I hear the person rush out of the room, only for Anastasia to wake up. She sits up and looks at me and a smile spreads across her face.

  "Joan!" She yells, jumping into give me a hug. I can't help but wince at the pain. As I do, she immediately pulls away and looks at me with sadness.

  "Hey there my little princess," I greet with a weak smile.

  The door opens and Bruce and Bucky both walk in. Bucky rushes over to my side and kneels down by the bed.

  "Hey love," he says softly.

  "Hey," I respond, my voice coming out in a whisper.

  "How are you feeling?" He asks.

  "Didn't your mother tell you not to ask stupid question?" I ask with a smile. Immediately, the smile on his face widens and he lets out a chuckle.

  "I'm going to have to ask you two to leave please," Banner says to Buck and Anastasia.

  Bucky nods and places his hand out for Anastasia to grab. She jumps off the bed and takes his hand, and the two leave. I'm surprised that she still remembers him. She wasn't any older than three.

  "How are you feeling Joan?" Bruce asks.

  "Like shit," I reply, throwing my head back and closing my eyes. I open them and my gaze goes down to my now missing left arm. "How long was I out for?" I ask, still keeping my gaze on where the metallic hand would be.

  "Four days. When was the last time that you slept?"

  "I can't remember, at least eight. Maybe more."

  Bruce starts to jot things down on his note board.

  "When's the last time that you ate?" He asks.

  "I don't know. Longer probably."

  "I see. Do you remember what happened?"

  I think for a moment. The only thing in my head is the sound of a gunshot being fired and Ivan dropping dead. "Some," I finally answer.

  "Can you elaborate?"

  "I remember being surrounded by snow in James arms and then me shooting Ivan through the skull."

  "Do you remember who we are?" He asks, this time I can sense cautiousness in his voice.

  "I remember everyone, but I know that the memories that I have right now aren't real."

  "What do you mean?" He asks.

  "I don't want to talk about it," I say, looking back to the door. I let out a sigh and turn my gaze over to Bruce. "How's Rose?"

  "She's doing ok. A few bruises, a broken rib, but nothing too major."

  I nod to myself and let out another sigh. Once more, I look down to the nub. The arm stopped right at the star. Motherfucker just had to leave that on. What an asshole.

  "We'll get you a new one. It will be better and more fitted," Bruce explains. I don't respond. "The team is going to want to talk to you you know?" He adds.

  I nod my head and look out the window that looks out through the city.

  "I'll let you go," he says, making his way towards the door.

  "Wait," I speak out. Bruce turns around to look at me, so I continue. "How is Rose? Is she hurt?"

  "She's fine. She was in the hospital for about two days, nothing too serious. She'll be excited to see you."

  "How much has she said about her time?" I ask.

  "Not much, just that they mostly focused on you."

  "Ok, thank you."

  Once Bruce leaves, Bucky and Anastasia come back in. Anastasia plops on the bed next to me and Bucky sits on the chair to right of me. They put on the tv and after about twenty minutes, the chaos starts.