Toni Martin

Chapter 2

"Toni?" 

"Yeah, Toni. It's short for Tonia." 

"I know. I'm not stupid." 

"Oh of course. Walking in front of a moving car was just pure genius." 

Sherlock glared at her from the corner of his eye, "what do you want?" 

"I saved your life. You owe me." 

Sherlock groaned in annoyance. He walked faster trying to lose her in the sea of people, but she still wouldn't go away. Sherlock turned to her.  

"What do you-" Sherlock stopped short as he saw a man in the window of a building staring at him. Sherlock froze.  

"What?" Toni looked in the direction he was looking. Sherlock grabbed her arm, "run." Sherlock darted into an ally with Toni not that far behind.  

"What are we runing from?" Sherlock didn't answer. He kept running staying out of sight. They finally reached a small restaurant. They sat a table by the window.  

"Dude, what's going on?" Toni demanded. Sherlock kept his eyes fixed out of the window.  

"That man that was staring at me. I recognized him from somewhere. He tried to kill me not that long ago." Toni raised an eyebrow at him.  

"Why was he trying to kill you?" She asked. 

Sherlock looked at her, "I'm Sherlock Holmes." Toni just stared at him blankly, "is that supposed to mean something to me?"  

"You never heard of me?" 

"Should I have?"  

Sherlock leaned back in his chair. The waitress came over to their table, "what would you like to order?" She asked.  

"Not hungry." Toni and Sherlock said at the same time. They stared at each other in surprise. It was silent for a moment, then waitress cleared her throat, "well ok then." She walked away awkwardly.  

"Who are you?" Toni demanded. Sherlock sighed. "I'm a consulting detective. Only one in the world. And right now I'm running for my life." He leaned in closer and lowered his voice, "there are many people who would like to have my head on a silver platter." Toni was silent. Sherlock continued.  

"I've been running for about a year now. I can't go to my friend, because if I do they will kill him. Now can you leave me alone? I don't want to put anyone else's life in danger."  

Toni was silent. Then she she crossed her arms on the table and leaned in. She smirked, "I'm starting to like you." Sherlock narrowed his eyes, "and who are you?"  

"I'm Toni Martin. I'm visiting some relatives here." 

"Wrong." 

Toni narrowed her eyes at him, "oh?" 

"Your not visiting. You ran away from home. I can tell by your clothes, they're expensive. So you come from a rich family. They way you talk and hold yourself says 'ignored' so it is likely you have many siblings that your parents don't care about. You recently got off a plane. You're running away trying to get attention from your family. You're not supposed to be here. Am I wrong?" Toni's jaw dropped, "You pay very close attention. Seems to me that someone's had a crappy childhood. " She grinned. They both glared at each other for a while, trying to figure the other person out. Toni finally said, "I want to help you." Sherlock raised an eyebrow.  

"I want to help you. Your life sounds way more exciting than mine. It would be fun!"  

"What would you help with?"  

"Oh I don't know. Show you some awesome hiding places. Shoot some bad guy's asses off. Come on dude I want to help! And you still owe me." Sherlock considered the idea. He didn't like it, but he couldn't see a way to get rid of her. Would she slow him down? Not likely. Could she defend herself? Probably. Could she be his new John? The answer to that was no. No one could replace him, but Sherlock hated being alone. They leaned in closer to each other, noses an inch away. They stared each other down. Sherlock finally said, "fine."  

_________________________ 

3 will get here soon. Hoped you liked it!  

-JM