BP004-P07 - Subjugation 07

In the meantime, Falko had long since turned his wagon all the way around. He had opened the cover wide and was sitting at the back, half turned, on the last board. It was this board where you could dangle your feet. When the wagon was full, people who were lower in the hierarchy than Meia often sat there, such as children and errand boys. Sometimes the trainees also sat there with tradesmen. Those from whom you wanted to distinguish yourself sat there... But the board wasn't at issue. Falko was doing a task. He had brought his lamp from the front, but he had put it back next to him instead of hanging it up. There was a hook. It wasn't as if there wasn't one. The lower end board of the cargo area was now preventing the light from reaching his hands. The night was admittedly bright, but Meia still found it unusual. Meia couldn't see exactly what he was doing, but she could tell by the sounds. She heard flowing, splashing and metal tapping. He was probably transferring soup from a metal pot into wooden bowls with a metal ladle. And he wasn't very good at it. Or maybe it was one of those ladles where it ran down and you never knew exactly how to use it without dripping. Meia hated ladles like that.

Meia heard voices behind her and she knew who it was. Violet had her colleagues in tow.

Meia's hearing was quickly confirmed. The three of them came to Falko. Meanwhile, Falko took out a bowl and looked hesitant for a moment, then handed it to Innes, then another to Cora.

"I thank you."

"Thank you. May I ask your name?"

Falko put his hand to his chin and presented his handsome face to the two girls.

"Falko Wagner."

"You are Mr. Wagner? The Mr. Wagner-"

"What an honor to meet you-"

The two spoke over each other with excitement. Mr. Wagner was apparently someone you had to know. At the same time, Violet quickly became very displeased.

"Tch!", Violet made to startle them both. It was almost a hiss, like a cat's. "Go back to the wagon now. It's dangerous out here."

"Of-Of course, Mrs. Siobelga."

Meia's colleague didn't take more than four steps before the chattering started. The cliché of cackling geese was not one. It was a prerequisite for employment at the courtyard. Even now, Meia had no idea who Falko was, but since her colleague was so impressed by him, he was apparently someone who was not insignificant. It was certainly better not to say the wrong thing around him. Surely he knew the queen too. After all, he also knew the route.

"Do you like impressing little girls?"

"You don't have to be jealous."

"I'm not."

"What about the demon? Do you want me to give her some too?"

"I'm sure she'd want some, but..." Violet turned around. "Hey, you two!"

Meia's colleagues stopped in their tracks and turned around with questioning looks on their faces.

"Yes, Mrs. Siobelga?"

"Sit in the front of the wagon until Yuri allows you to go back inside."

"As you wish, Mrs. Siobelga."

Falko grinned. Violet seemed somehow annoyed. The other two walked back to the cart.

On the way, they found time to give Meia a nasty look. Meia was used to it. Maybe it was just the high sitting position, but at least right now she felt superior to them. She would stick her tongue out at them, but refrained from doing so and smiled at them instead. As soon as they had passed her, they continued to gossip and giggle.