Chapter 3: The Water Isn't Clear

I wake up early, and feel my dried up tears on my cheeks. I quickly get ready for the day, starting by washing my face. I can’t look weak. Not today. I change into my training clothes, black athletic leggings, a black athletic shirt with red accents, and black sneakers. I pull my puff of hair into a ponytail and slick back any stray hairs so they don’t get in my face.

I make my way to the dining table, and eat breakfast quickly. Just like last night, the table is filled with food. Eggs, toasts, meats, and pastries fill the table. I ignore most of it, only eating some eggs. Part of me wishes I could sneak some of it home to my brothers, so they could see how good the food is.

Mags begins to explain to me what’s going to happen today, “You’ll go down to the training center, along with all the other tributes. They’ll teach not only how to fight, but also survival skills. We have no idea what the arena will be like this year, but let’s hope it’s somewhat water based. It will definitely give you two the advantage.” She says.

Mags escorts us down to the training center, then says goodbye. Once me and Emil are inside, we see the rest of the tributes. The age range is clear, all the way from tiny kids to almost full grown teenagers. It’s not a pretty sight. We all line up next to each other and listen to the instructor speak.

“Welcome to the training center. Here, you’ll have all day to train and prepare as much as you can before you enter the arena. I want to remind you all that even though combat skills are important, survival skills are even more valuable. Most of you will die from dehydration, hypothermia, and even starvation. Learning to keep yourself alive is the most crucial thing you all will learn here. Oh, and no fighting other tributes. You’ll have plenty of time for that in the arena.” The man smirks, then turns around to leave.

I look up and see the room that gamemakers, sponsors, and a couple politicians are in to watch us. They’re surrounded by an array of food and drinks. It’s obvious that they’re trying to see who’d be the best to sponsor. Or the best to bet on winning. I swallow, and try not to wonder what they think of me.

The tributes disperse everywhere. Some go straight to aim practice, others to learn how to make a shelter. Many stick with their District partners. Me and Emil walk over to aim practice. I pick up a spear, “How’s your aim?” I ask. Emil shrugs, “I’m better at fishing than spearing.” I sigh, “Spearing’s faster, and more efficient. Let’s go over there to the throwing knives. I’ll help you with your aim.” Emil nods, and we walk over to it. While we begin to throw some knives, I overhear a conversation.

“Cmon Cat! You can’t follow me everywhere. Go train somewhere else, I don’t need your nervousness rubbing off on me.” A boy with jet black hair says. I realize he’s from District 2, most likely a volunteer. The girl he’s talking to is a small redhead. She nods, and mutters something quick before walking away. I look away before the boy can catch me staring.

Once we’re done with throwing, me and Emil walk over to the fire starting area. I begin to try, and to no avail I fail. Surprisingly, Emil does great at it. When I ask how, all he says is “It’s easy, rub the stick into something dry and blow. You’ll make fire faster than you can say blaze.” I laugh, “Where’d you learn that phrase?” Emil goes quiet, “My mom.” I go quiet too, and now there’s an awkward silence between us.

I leave Emil to go practice on the obstacle course. I felt too bad to stay with him after making him talk about his mom. I run through the course a couple times. I swing the ropes, dodge obstacles, and climb walls. I keep doing this so that I can beat my record each time. My best record is a minute and 56 seconds.

As I’m doing the course again, I begin to hear shouting. I sit myself at the top of the climbing portion to see what’s going on. It looks like a fight breaking out between the District 1 boy and the District 5 boy I saw earlier. In my mind I think it’s Calder, picking a fight with someone. The District 1 boy yells “I know you took it! You put your dirty little hands on my goddamn spear!” The district 5 boy gives him a hard punch, “I didn’t touch your shit man, don’t blame me for that!” He yells. They begin to tussle some more, but peacekeepers come in and break it up. They’re both sent to opposite sides of the room and start their individual training.

I quickly finish the obstacle course, then start walking over to my own individual training. I greet my instructor, and get to work. We work on hand to hand combat mostly, then near the end we focus on some survival skills. She teaches me how to build a shelter, what plants are poisonous, which are safe, and how to make a fire. When she teaches me how to catch a fish, I end up doing better than her. She seems a little embarrassed, but I don’t blame her. I’ve been fishing all my life, she hasn’t.

Once our training is done, I meet back up with Emil. Mags comes to collect us, and we head back upstairs to our room. “How was training?” She asks politely. “It was good, nothing too hard” I say. Emil butts into the conversation with “Two boys fought today.” I give him a bit of a weird look for saying that so randomly. “Oh don’t worry Emil, that happens practically every year. Some people are just too eager.” She sighs.

We finally reach the 4th floor. We both head to our rooms to change for dinner. Tonight is chicken, thankfully. I talk to Clarise a bit, and as well as Florian. I feel like I’m in a good mood.

Dessert is excellent, the table filled once again. It’s so weird to see no empty spaces on a table, no empty chairs at all. The Capitol people are always full, never empty. It’s no wonder why they make such odd alterations to themselves, they must be bored out of their minds. They have nothing to work towards, nothing to achieve. They’ve had everything since the beginning, what more could you want?

The table has an array of sweets. Ice cream, chocolate covered strawberries, cookies, pies, pastries, cakes, and candy line the table. Emil goes crazy, plucking everything he wants onto his plate and eating it like a mad man. Mags has to eventually tell him to slow down, but he doesn’t really. It’s kind of funny to see him like this, he is a kid after all.

I finish eating, say goodnight to everyone, and head back to my room. Once I lock the door, I sit on the bed and sigh. I look over to my bedside table and realize there’s a remote control on it. I pick it up, and begin to press a few buttons. In front of me, my window out the Capitol turns into a green forest. I click the button again, and now it’s a desert. One more time, and now it’s a beach.

I stop clicking the remote, and I drop it. Not even the sound of it hitting the floor knocks me out of the trance-like state I’m in. I begin to walk over to the window. I take a breath, expecting the salty smell of the ocean. All I get is some clean lavender scent that is in my bedroom. I tear up a little. I miss the crack of the waves, the saltiness of the air. Oh how Dorian hates the sand. He loves the water, but hates the journey to get in. Me and Calder would always make fun of him for it.

I wish I was back home. I never thought that homesickness would be one of the worst things about this. But it is. I feel a couple tears drop down my face, and I wipe them quickly. I refuse to cry myself to sleep for the second night in a row. I’m stronger than that. I’m stronger than this.

I climb into bed and close my eyes. I can hear the ocean noises the hologram produces, and I let it lull me to sleep.

I think of Calder, and Dorian. I think of the ocean, the shop, and of my friends. I think of Emil’s mom, and I think of home one last time before I drift off to sleep.

In my sleep, I dream of home. An alternate reality where I wasn’t picked. It’s a nice dream.