Chapter 1.4: Zero

I sit on the sofa in the den, looking over the various files I have spread over the coffee table, all old clients. It's becoming increasingly difficult to balance school and work life. Especially when that work life is assassination.

I sigh, "I think I need a new job," I mutter.

"What was that?" I jump at Elena's, my little sister's, voice in the other room.

"Nothing," I say, rising from the couch and walking to the dining room table, where she's seated, "What are you doing?"

"An art project Miss Daisy gave us for the weekend."

I chuckle and run a hand through my hair, "Pretty last minute, don't you think?"

She crosses her arms, "Well it's not my fault! I had Isa's birthday party yesterday!"

"Right, right," I sigh, "I'm gonna head to the store to get a few groceries before they close, do you need anything?"

"Glue, please!"

"Okay, I'll be back soon. Don't open the door for anyone."

"Okay."

I walk to the door and take my jacket off of the coat rack, along with an umbrella. I slide on the coat and my sneakers, and open the door.

I walk outside and am greeted with the sound of yells coming from the far end of the sidewalk. I roll my eyes and calmly make my way to the alleyway a bit further up.

As the noises grow closer, I peek out and see a boy, fairly young looking, being chased by a group of 5 or 6 men. I grab his arm as he comes closer and pull him to me. He falls to the floor, but quickly scrambles up and hides with me behind some palettes.

He collapses to the concrete and sits for a while, coughing, catching his breath. I can't help but feel a bit bad for him. But I'm also annoyed, mainly with myself, that I decided to help this kid. All I wanted to do was get groceries.

Once he's caught his breath enough, he manages to say thank you.

"No problem," I respond, "Now, care to explain why they were after you?"

He shakes his head, "Why would I tell you? I don't even know you."

"Neither do I, you. But I still helped you, didn't I? You owe me," I say sternly.

"I didn't ask you to do that."

"You didn't, but I'm sure you were hoping for it," I say, "You were hoping someone would interfere. Because you know what would have happened if they caught you. Now, you don't have to answer that question, but answer this one. How old are you?"

He stays quiet for a while, like he's running through his options, "16," He finally spits out.

"Oh god," I whisper, pinching the bridge of my nose. I sigh, "Get up."

He follows my directions, but still asks, "What? Why?"

"Come," I say, "I'm taking you to my house."

"Wait," he says, stopping, "Isn't this kidnapping? I don't even know your name. You could be a murderer for all I know."

"You can call me Zero, now come. I don't have all day."

"Zero?" He echoes, "What kind of name is that," He mocks.

"The kind that belongs to the kind stranger who just saved you from a gang fight," I say. With that, he follows me.

When we reach the door, I knock for a moment, and am met with Elena's eyes when she opens it.

"Hello," I say softly, with a smile on my face, "Sorry I couldn't get your glue, I'll have to go back later."

"It's okay," she says, pouting a bit. "Who's that?" her eyes drift to the boy.

"A friend. Now come, let's get inside."

Elena backs behind the door to let us in, and me and the boy go to sit on the couch, while Elena goes upstairs to her bedroom. I quickly pick up the reports I had spread across the coffee table earlier, hopefully before he notices.

"So," I say, "What's your name?"

"Why would I tell you?"

"Because I may have saved your life."

"Saved my life?" He echoes.

"Yes."

He stares at me for a while, "Koda," He finally says.

"Koda," I repeat.

"Yep. That's my name, now I have a question," I gesture for him to ask, "Is 'Zero' really yours?"

"No," I start, "But it's what I've always gone by. I probably couldn't remember my real name if I tried." I laugh.

The room goes silent, but they say silence is the loudest sound there is.

"You're.. A very depressing person, Zero," He finally says, his voice breaking more with every word.

"Yes, I'm aware." I respond monotonically. "Now, let's get to the point. Where do you live?" He tilts his head to the side and looks at me with a gaze that tells me he thinks it was a dumb question. "Don't look at me like that," I say, "Answer the question."

He sighs and puts his hands on his lap, "My home?" He starts, "It's gone."

---

Hello! Author here! Thank you so much for reading!