𝚏𝚊𝚔𝚎⁰⁶

Lando slouched comfortably on Mila's couch, sinking into its soft cushions as Mila emerged from the kitchen with an array of snacks. The television flickered with the glow of their chosen show - Modern Family - as usual, casting shadows across the room.

"So about your question the other day—" Mila began, her voice soft, almost hesitant.

"Oh yeah, um, we don't need to talk about it. I'm sorry for making it weird. I was just too in my head," Lando interjected quickly, his words tumbling out in a rush.

"No, I think...I think it's actually not a bad idea," Mila responded, her tone thoughtful, her eyes searching his.

"W-what? What do you mean?" Lando's brows furrowed in confusion, his gaze fixed on Mila.

"I mean, I... I don't know. You want to show Luisa you're happy and you've found someone who cares for you and has got your back. You know I'll always support you, and..." Mila's voice trailed off, a hint of vulnerability creeping into her tone.

"And you know Gramma has been sick for a while now. She keeps talking about how her last wish is to see me and Ryder happy and settled down. I'm obviously not getting married to anyone but...I just... I don't know, her treatment hasn't been working and I'm worried and scared," Mila confessed, her voice wavering slightly.

"And you think seeing you date me will make her happy?" Lando's voice was laced with doubt, his uncertainty mirroring Mila's own.

"I don't know, Lando," she sighed, "It's not like I'm going to find a guy and fall in love with him within a month when I go to visit her. So if... if even me faking it can make her happy then, I'm willing to take that shot," Mila admitted, her words tinged with determination.

"What if she finds out?" Lando's voice held a note of apprehension, his gaze still fixed on Mila.

"How will she?" Mila countered, her voice firm with conviction.

"How long would we even fake it for?" Lando questioned, his gaze searching hers for answers.

"I don't know! I guess, until we think we've proven a point. Until I've proven to Gramma that I tried and it's just... not meant to be. At least she'll see me having one good ex, one who treated me right but just wasn't 'the one'. And you can feel better knowing you're proving Luisa wrong when you see her around at work," Mila reasoned, her voice tinged with a hint of desperation.

"And after we fake-breakup? We just stop talking?" Lando's question hung in the air, his uncertainty palpable.

"No, of course not. I mean...exes can stay friends if the breakup is mutual. And we aren't even going to be real exes, just friends helping each other out," Mila reassured him, her voice gentle but firm.

"This seems way more complicated than when I suggested it," Lando remarked, a hint of amusement in his voice.

"Yeah it is, there's...a lot at stake. But I guess, if I had to have a fake boyfriend...I wouldn't want it to be anyone but you," Mila admitted, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

"Aww, that's the cutest shit you've ever said to me," Lando teased, "I'm sure we'll figure something out, Lani. So what do you say? Do you really wanna be my fake girlfriend, Lani Cooper?" His words were laced with warmth, his gaze softening as he looked at Mila.

"Yes, and I'd be honored to have you as my fake boyfriend, Lando Norris," Mila replied, her smile widening into a grin as she met Lando's gaze, her eyes sparkling with determination and a hint of mischief.

This was the start of something new and both of them couldn't wait to see how it would play out. To them, it was like they were pulling a prank on the entire world. And the mischievous duo loved the idea of that.

So what could go wrong?